real time web analytics
Report - - Alcan (nee High Duty Alloys) Workington Oct 2018 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Alcan (nee High Duty Alloys) Workington Oct 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Alcan High Duty Alloys Extrusions. The factory opened in 1940. It was the first factory on the Lillyhall Industrial Estate. The people make Aluminium Alloy Extrusions. There are 598 Men and 48 Women. The goods are sold world wide. The average wage is about £150 per week. There are 4 shifts morning afternoon nights and days. Workington plant at Lillyhall produces stringers and bars for the aerospace and engineering markets, also they make parts for the space shuttle and Concorde.

In 2003 Alcan enquired Pechiney which in turn the site was rename to Alcan Pechiney Alloys factory halved its workforce between 2000 and 2003 and was bought out by Alcan in 2003.

Production from Workington moved to Alcan’s facilities in Issoire and Montreuil- Juigné in France.Workington has stopped production at the end of June 2007 and it closed the site with the loss of 161 jobs, finally in early 2008.

The best site I'd never heard of!

Speed had mentioned that this place might be worth a look, and despite being derelict for a number of years now, fires and a good dose of smashey and smashey it was actually well worth a visit. The actual manufacturing sheds were very bare and fairly uninteresting, however the labs, offices and nurses block were in fact very dated with much of interest strewn about. I'll let the photos do the talking but it was a pleasure to have a wander around the kind of place that used to be our bread and butter...

DSC_0574.jpg

DSC_0579.jpg

DSC_0581.jpg

View attachment
DSC_0586.jpg

DSC_0587.jpg

DSC_0594.jpg

DSC_0595.jpg

DSC_0600.jpg

DSC_0602.jpg
DSC_0603.jpg

DSC_0606.jpg

Some fine retro paper above false ceiling level!
DSC_0607.jpg

DSC_0611.jpg

DSC_0616.jpg

DSC_0617.jpg

As the place was built in 1940 it contains purpose built air raid shelters. These are packed full of everything from drawings, records and even the stuff for the kiddie's xmas party!

DSC_0623.jpg

DSC_0626.jpg

Sadly the early records were mostly burnt, but some dating from the war could be read. Note the section for "ARP"
DSC_0630.jpg

DSC_0648.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

DSC_0653.jpg

Hand lift for the chemical stores below the lab, still in working order
DSC_0655.jpg

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0658.jpg

DSC_0662.jpg

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Went here a few years ago and never got round to posting a report. It looks a lot worse now. The records room was great, it looks like some of it may have suffered a fire.

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Awesome stuff, enjoyed having a wander around here a couple of years back, I enjoyed what I did see but seemed to miss a lot of nice looking bits!

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Shame. If I'd have seen some other decent reports I might have prioritised it a bit higher. We would definitely have benifitted by being a few years earlier (If not 10!). There's only one other report on here that makes it look any good :confused:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
A++++ would sleep again..

I actually enjoyed this place, like we said, be good to have seen this a good few years back like :thumb