real time web analytics
Report - - Anderl Fabrik Mill, Austria, December 2018 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Anderl Fabrik Mill, Austria, December 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Looking deep into my backlog I came across this small(ish) mill I had visited back in 2018, thankfully I was able to find the remaining unaltered images

A Brief History
This might not be entirely accurate as this was mostly translated using google, which isn't always the best....

1609279855926.jpeg

This mill can be dated back around 1851 when Wilhelm Altmann purchased the existing mill and began to set up a mechanical weaving mill on the site using hydroelectricity to power it, supplied from the nearby stream. The site was later taken over by Vinzenz Schwarz in 1856 allowing it to grow into a much larger factory.

Later in 1879 ownership of the mill was taken over by Johann Anderl who moved production here in a bid to save costs. At the time there were very few mechanical weaving looms which meant those from nearby where employed as homeworkers who had materials supplied to them and finished products returned to the factory.

Eventually the later 19th century saw the factory update. The primary power source changed from water to coal/steam with a new dying plant being constructed onsite. Anderl's sons, Adolf & Conrad, eventually took over the company. Residing in the two houses next to the mill, which were originally built for workers of the plant.

1938 saw the company come under receivership, following financial difficulties.
The mill was later taken over in 1943 by a Metal and Electrical goods company, F&G, throughout the war until vacating the property in 1948.

1950 saw a wool and cotton spinning mill was established on the site with around 220 employees. Richard Hein eventually took control of the property, a nephew of the original companies' current owner Hans Anderl, in a bid to continue work at the mill. Unfortunately it was too late, the buildings and equipment were outdated. The mill still continued operation but with a small workforce of around 20, initially. Eventually the equipment was modernised and able to start producing hospital sheets, gauze, diapers, and linen up until the plant was closed for the last time in 2004.

The visit

I wasn't entirely sure on what places we were visiting for the day so everything was sort of a surprise. Eventually, we pulled up at a rather picturesque bit of countryside with an obvious derelict mill plonked in the middle of it.

Entrance.

Once inside and through several dark rooms with boxes and cobwebs I was greeted to this!

Moving Upstairs

1st floor. If I remember correctly.

Same floor, different area.

Toilets or offices.

Top Floor.

Rather dark office area.

Moving through the rest of the structures it appeared a fair amount had been removed. Apart from this interesting contraption.

A collpased area from above.

That's about it.
Have a good new years!

Last edited: