real time web analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Anyone Fancy Exploring an Unexplored Underground Mine? (Trawsfynydd) | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Anyone Fancy Exploring an Unexplored Underground Mine? (Trawsfynydd)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

CAD_Master_3000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello all,

I have a bit of an unusual opportunity I've been presented with, it's to explore a "potentially large" underground section of an old slate quarry near Trawsfynydd, North Wales.

I've been underground a fair bit, but the idea of an unexplored mine system is quite daunting for someone like me without enough experience or equipment to do it solo (I wouldn't want to do it solo anyway to be honest!!).

The quarry is Braich Ddu, which I've found references to from as early as the 1830s. When I've visited the site I've been shown the adit, but no one in living memory has been down there.

I cant find much about the history online but I have found some interesting bits that I'd love to find evidence of on site. The most prominent is about the tunnelling machines that were apparently purchased by the quarry in 1863 built by the same man who built the tunnelling machine that made the "binoculars" in Corris. Here's the quote from a local paper "The first tunnelling machine was designed by Scottish engineer George Hunter, whose father James had developed industrial stone planing machines in Arbroath. Their industrial cutters were widely adopted by the slate industry – though James was to lose a leg in the process. One was ordered by the Braich Ddu quarry near Trawsfynydd in 1863. Boasting four discs, each 4ft in diameter, it was described as “the largest machine of the kind yet made”."

The quarry was owned by "Liverpool and Birkenhead Slate and Slab Co Limited" Although as of 1883 they appeared to be in liquidation according to the "Material Mineral Statistics of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland for the Year 1882". so it would have only been worked for 20 years at most. The machines would likely have been assembled underground as there aren't (weren't) any signs on the surface of the tunnelling machines. This leads me and the quarrymen who work there to believe that they must have installed the machinery in situ underground.

Below is a OS map from 1899/1901 showing the quarry as disused. I've not found any reference to it being quarried since it fell into liquidation until it's current owners took over in the 1970s/1980s.

1704719618048.png

The quarry is owned by a local firm now and is an active quarry, but I've been asked if I wanted to explore the adit, at my own risk as long as we don't disturb their work too much, both for the adventure, but also to know how to underground workings lie, as they are now an open pit quarry and don't want a 25 ton excavator falling into a chamber.

If anyone wants to give it a go, please give me a shout. Failing to get underground here, the Prince Edward gold mine (@HughieD's report here for the surface and cunningcorgi's report here for the underfround bits) is about a mile or so away so that could be the consolation failing this, or alternatively, I'd be happy to show some of the lesser known slate mines around Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Thanks for reading and I hope it's of interest to some of you at least.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very interesting. This was off my radar as there is little on-line about the place and from Google Maps it still looked to be active. Like you, I've checked all the old O/S maps and as you say, the quarry is marked but no adits indicated. Would have liked to have joined you but only just got back from Wales!

Good luck and stay safe....

CAD_Master_3000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very interesting. This was off my radar as there is little on-line about the place and from Google Maps it still looked to be active. Like you, I've checked all the old O/S maps and as you say, the quarry is marked but no adits indicated. Would have liked to have joined you but only just got back from Wales!

Good luck and stay safe....
Ahh shame, I won't be going until late spring/early summer as the weather up there is turned up to 11 most of the time! I'll drop you a message closer to the time if you do fancy, but don't worry if you can't make it. I'll either make a report if it's any good, or post pictures to this thread if it's a disappointment.

If you ever want to explore some lesser trodden mines around the Ffestiniog area though, I'd be happy to show you round.

Sounds amazing, but you definately want some one whos very versed in exploring slate mines with you, I'd imagine if you asked on a caving group they would bite your arm off.
I thought the same to be honest, but at least with someone who knows what they're doing we could potentially discover some cool stuff down there.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Some info from the Gazeteer of Slate Quarrying in Wales(2007):

A shallow, dispersed working that, exploiting the cambrian series, had a name for producing a good coloured slate. Water Powered mill (with Hunter Saw) Finish product carted to the Dwyryd up to 1868 and almost certainly the last quarry to use the river. When the GWR opened a tramway was planned to the railway but only built to the site boundary. Some small scale extractiong into the 1980s, revived in the early 2000s. Remains: The site is disturbed by later operations, beside the contemporary buildings; there are the ruins of a small mill with wheel pit, a barracks and some other buildings including a possible earlier mill. A notable feature is the rough slab causeway which carried the tramway to a loading point on the road.

CAD_Master_3000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some info from the Gazeteer of Slate Quarrying in Wales(2007):
I'd not seen that one. Thank you. An interesting but equally devastating fact, is that the tramway they built was never finished, but they built straight through the centre of an incredibly rare roman amphitheatre (one of only two in Wales at outposts). And the kicker is, they only carried on about 40 yards beyond it to the boundary as it states in the quote you'd found.

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You need a Vanoord, MilesM and SRL!! Possibly the hardest of Welsh Mine explorers known to all!!

Failing that if you are local enough a Sheltinger might help.........

All long shots, UCET are a good local bunch of folk who might be pursuaded to come along for a mooch

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
My mate Chris did it last year he said not much is there apart from the underground quarry adit

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
@Down and beyond beat me to it. its unlikely there are many if any "unexplored" mines in the UK & its most likely @Down and beyond or myself will know someone who has done them.

That said if its new to you its still a valid explore but as others have said find someone more experienced willing to go or see if any local groups will take you... & make sure u have a helmet, u would be surprised the amount of underground posts we see with people who dont.