real time web analytics
Report - - Archerman , Sheffield , 02.01.2021 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Archerman , Sheffield , 02.01.2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Archerman is the culverted section of the graves park beck that flows in to the river Sheaf in what is now designated as the archer road nature reserve ( delusions of grandeur here ) bang opposite home bargins just of archer road the culvert entrance is easy to spot , A bit of digging on maps alerted me to the possibility that there might be something worth checking out here so getting geared up for the first time this year i set of early doors before the shops opened to have a nosy .

climbing over the fence i was seen by a walker but as its a busy site thats to be expected , climbing down the bank as its that steep i arrived at the outflow
was only a slight stoop but a fairly fast flow of water coming through like all drains it would have been easier in drier weather brought the trolley cart again but really wasnt needed to be honest i diddnt think it would be much of an explore as its not hidden or been documented before ( to my knowledge )

well at least it was not a no show ! There was a long brick built pipe

looking back to the start it was quite a length but im not going to put all the pics of brick pipe on as its featureless plus i haddnt remembered to bring my tripod so the pics are substandard :banghead

went past 3 manholes with arched brick roofs lovely workmanship

like bad cholesterol in an artery ! lol

after a good walk a change in styles occurred a lovely bit of dry stone wall with a slab concrete roof bad news the height reduced to about 1500mm from here on it was concrete walls and roof ,
ladder going up to a manhole chamber

reminiscent of stoopatron the culvert at meersbrook may have been constructed around a similar time ?

this next section was a challenge ridiculously steep and slippery turned the drains cart upside down and crawled up using it for extra grip

getting up the last bit and bending around to the right i now caught a glimps of daylight ahead

coming to the end was tough i did consider calling it a day and turning back ! The floor stepped up and the ceiling got even lower kneepad time on all fours i proceeded past the small branches and mud silt that was choking the culvert dragging the drains cart behind me i ploughed on

once past all the crap it opened up in size and back to an older construction of brick over stone walls

last feature there was 2 of these together one either side just like a cross roads the other one was blocked

and out ! thought at first i arrived in the back gardens of peoples houses as the banks either side had been beautifully landscaped then as i could see a large building i thought it must be a care home ! wrong again i was in the grounds of laycocks sports club this proved quite difficult to escape from as the site is enclosed by 6 foot high spiked railings but theres always a way out ;) was spotted climbing out as well :eek: but not challenged thankfully would have gone back the way i came in but that last cramped section was a pain all in all a great little wander cheers for viewing

Last edited:

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Nice one. No, not been documented this before so good work. I had assumed this would be too small but just goes to show it's worth checking everything out. Have you looked further on in the beck as there's some more culverted sections - again might be too small but maybe not.

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one. No, not been documented this before so good work. I had assumed this would be too small but just goes to show it's worth checking everything out. Have you looked further on in the beck as there's some more culverted sections - again might be too small but maybe not.
[/QUOTE
there was another short section inside the sports club grounds then it goes under fraser rd so there may be more to do its worth a look when the weather picks up

chills

Queller of the uprising
Nicely done there Sir! I echo @HughieD ‘s words, certainly braver than me currently in this weather! My draining is on pause at this time of year due to depth and flow; just be careful and wise if you are still active!

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
That half & half brick/stone egg section looks nice. Can't recall seeing that before.
Nice culvert there, might have a butchers myself

Who has read this thread (Total: 272) View details