real time web analytics
Report - - Ashby Railway Tunnel. Ashby De La Zouch July 2015 | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ashby Railway Tunnel. Ashby De La Zouch July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

purplesmudger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good question it depends as I use it on Turbo mode which is the 850 lumens a lot of the time and as the battery packs only a 2200mah one it has limited life on turbo before it drops down to high or low which can be adjusted by a rotary switch on the battery housing.
I don't really know the time (it does state something in the specs) but as I carry multiple batteries as soon as I notice a reduced output I change them .
The ideal ones would be some decent 3400mah ones but at @£20 each it's an expensive upgrade.
I use rechargeable AAs once I've tired the 18650 pack but that's only because I have loads.

You can pick one up off Ebay for @£90 usually @£120+ or wait for a private seller to turn up as happened 2 weeks ago @£60 I nearly got one for a back up .

Some people don't like head torches but you can add the longer lead it comes with and use it as a hand or remote torch also .
depends what your needs are ? A Lenses P7. 2 is enough for most people and interiors of buildings etc even some tunnels if if you do very long exposure which is what I do.

or get one of the Nitecore TM series which is what I've just added to the collection

Lots of batteries is a must for a good headtorch then :thumb- my current one is shit but lasts forever- but it is pretty much redundant anyway as it is so rubbish! Think I might go for a senser P7 or similar to use with my decent torch and just like you say go for a long exposure!

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done. Unfortunately I have to point out you are wrong about it having been a canal tunnel. The Ashby Canal never reached Ashby - it only ever got as far as Spring Cottage near Moira Baths (aka Conkers!). The original terminal basin at spring cottage is still in water whereas a new one has been constructed at Conkers. You are right in that tramways completed the routes onward from the canal (in several places, not just at Spring Cottage) but both Ashby Tunnel and the onwards route to Ticknall were built as tramways until part was converted to standard gauge as you describe.

As an aside, the only canal tunnel that was converted to a railway that springs to mind is Strood tunnel in Kent - originally built for the Thames * Medway Canal.

HTH. Chris.

Looks like i should read what i copy & edit off the NET :)

Yeah i know it wasn"t a Canal tunnel, just a tunnel created by the Canal company, cheaper than extending the Canal etc etc ......i thought it said that in the text?

And thanks :)

Edit....don"t know what"s happened there ? anyway pruned it cheers :thumb

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lots of batteries is a must for a good headtorch then :thumb- my current one is shit but lasts forever- but it is pretty much redundant anyway as it is so rubbish! Think I might go for a senser P7 or similar to use with my decent torch and just like you say go for a long exposure!

All depends which part of the tunnel you want to light up (if indeed tunnels are your thing ?) for the far end of a Tunnel you need the Lumens and a good throw but also good spill illuminating the sides. this is the problems with most LED Torches it"s normally one or the other, either a wide flood or reach with a narrow beam & hotspot. not an ideal combination TBH

Hence my costly recent purchases recently. Maybe i should just settle for dark tunnels and save lots of money lol

purplesmudger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
haha would love to not have to compromise- just v poor at the minute! Going down Box mine soon so hence the torch concerns ha. Have you been? I might go in Drewton in the near future as its close- I like your tunnels pictures so will definitely have to go in some and attempt to take pictures with all the tips you've given me :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
haha would love to not have to compromise- just v poor at the minute! Going down Box mine soon so hence the torch concerns ha. Have you been? I might go in Drewton in the near future as its close- I like your tunnels pictures so will definitely have to go in some and attempt to take pictures with all the tips you've given me :thumb

i"d like to do Box and some others make a weekend of it to justify the expense .

Need good light painting techniques but easy when you"re shown :)
PM me better :)

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice shots there Acid :thumb, and yeah it does look like there is a train coming along lol

Miss Mayhem

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's a beauty.
Stunning shots loving the colourful brickwork,
And as ever cheers for sharing :thumb

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Blimey, that has changed a bit; looks bone dry now. The water was so deep we never made it to the end
Excellent photos; as always :thumb