real time web analytics
Report - - Ashford Bobbin Mill - Derbyshire : March 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ashford Bobbin Mill - Derbyshire : March 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Ashford Bobbin Mill

One from the beginning of the year. Sadly, there's no access into the buildings but from what I've heard, the buildings are just now used as storage for a local fishing club. So it's just external photos. But I still really enjoyed it!

History is hazy on this one, it goes by lots of names including Ashford Bobbin Mill, Great Shacklow Wood Mill, Shacklow Mill.
Not a massive amount can be found about this mill. It was formerly a bone mill which created fertiliser, and later a timber mill. Bobbins were made from the local Ash wood specifically for the cotton mills at places like Cressbrook and Litton.
One building was used mainly as a storage room. There are two external iron wheels which are fed by the same leat, which runs behind the buildings. There is also a a ruined pumping house and a small waterwheel further down which used in the past for raising water to Sheldon village.
The buildings are situated in Shacklow Wood, just next to the River Wye. It's pretty much on a public footpath so there were plenty of people having a look around the buildings.

IMG_7751.jpg

IMG_7767.jpg

IMG_7768.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

IMG_7762.jpg

The moss covered steps made for a lovely photo

IMG_7753.jpg

IMG_7750.jpg

IMG_7749.jpg

IMG_7739.jpg

IMG_7747.jpg

IMG_7742.jpg

IMG_7733.jpg

IMG_7732.jpg

IMG_7727.jpg

IMG_7726.jpg

IMG_7720.jpg

To the smaller pump down stream

IMG_7698.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

The bridge over the River Wye!

IMG_7757.jpg

Some lovely fungi found also

IMG_7774.jpg

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely done, it's a really nice area and it is a place I'd consider visiting every now and then when up that way just due to the lovely surroundings.