real time web analytics
Report - - Ashford Black Marble Mine Bakewell - September 2021 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ashford Black Marble Mine Bakewell - September 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Mining in this area of Derbyshire for marble can be traced back in history to the early 1500's, whats interesting though it that it isnt actually marble but instead an impure form of limestone that polished up to a beautiful black. True marbles have been metamorphosed (changed physically) by heat from limestone.

It has a black color on account of the high bitumen and mud content. Black marble items such as inlaid tables attracted the attention of royalty and other rich folks. The heyday was during the 18th and 19th centuries.

This place seems very similar to a popular chert mine down the road as all mining activity seems to have taken part on one level with intertwining sections, the dark walls seem to absorb any light thrown at it, hoping to do a revisit soon with my camera

The mines are now gated and looked after by the DCA and the Chatsworth estate, there are signs of collapses all around this mine with a lot of sections taped of for safety, it was good to get down here whilst its still possible.

There is noticeable movement in the ceiling which is monitored by wedging a rectangle piece of plastic into roof cracks and if in time there on the floor this is a indication that there is movement, hence why there is so much of the place that you cant go

Theres also another marble mine nearby but access seems to be hard to get as there have been more serious collapses there...maybe one day.

many spider sacks

a lot of taped of sections in this place and for good reason

and old entrance now gated, this section of the mine is also unreachable from the inside due to collapses

what looks to be original miners writing

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good stuff. Knew about this place but never seen it come up on here til now.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice photos. Id be scared to death with so many collapses around. Good report. Informative. :thumb

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Nice, I've looked a couple of times at this but the gate is always locked
I vaguely remember something about having to get a key from a pub but that might be another mine in Ashford

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice, I've looked a couple of times at this but the gate is always locked
I vaguely remember something about having to get a key from a pub but that might be another mine in Ashford
yeah have to contact te key holder, theres one down the road which is quite hard to get access to

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks similar to the Cults limestone mine though on a far smaller scale. The limestone at Cults is also a very dark, charcoal grey in colour though it wasn't used for building being quite brittle.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice photos. Id be scared to death with so many collapses around. Good report. Informative. :thumb
The chances of an actual collapse happening above you are incredibly small, probably less than that of being struck by lightening. The people most at risk of collapses were the actual miners who were actively disturbing the rock by drilling and blasting.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
The chances of an actual collapse happening above you are incredibly small, probably less than that of being struck by lightening. The people most at risk of collapses were the actual miners who were actively disturbing the rock by drilling and blasting.
Ah good to know, I do really fancy doing some mines; but when and if I do, I will definitely take the experience and info discussed on here. Safety first, a guide, right equipment etc. These reports are great in so many different ways. But I do pay attention to the safety aspects when they are reported or commented on. Cheers Dave

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah good to know, I do really fancy doing some mines; but when and if I do, I will definitely take the experience and info discussed on here. Safety first, a guide, right equipment etc. These reports are great in so many different ways. But I do pay attention to the safety aspects when they are reported or commented on. Cheers Dave

Who has read this thread (Total: 203) View details