real time web analytics
Report - - Astoria - Brighton - August 2016 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Astoria - Brighton - August 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

xexxa

Xexxa the grey
Banned
I shall not bore with history as this place has been done to buggery already. Was a cool explore though. Found a hidden staircase behind a wall leading to some hidden rooms, no pigeons despite open roof, nice view... couldn't smell any unwashed vegans at all. A good explore in my book!

IMG_3675-1_zpsqvey7g7w.jpg

I'm not really bothered by old industrial stuff, but I know some are.

IMG_3679-1_zpszlpcagsi.jpg

IMG_3686-1_zpsnvetmhtx.jpg

IMG_3689-1_zpsjxjafkyk.jpg

IMG_3693-1_zpsz8nytmsr.jpg

IMG_3696-1_zpsoub04av9.jpg

Marathon bars... For all you oldies hahah

IMG_3699-1_zpsqgdaq5qd.jpg

IMG_3701-1_zpsg7csakgd.jpg

Not very Brighton at all...
IMG_3705-1_zps5f7se5mf.jpg

This was one of the two rooms off the hidden staircase

IMG_3709-1_zpsgjcwv58d.jpg

More of these helpful signs elsewhere please

IMG_3714-1_zps4cyqpy3x.jpg

I believe this was some kind of fitness club

IMG_3717-1_zpsyn9lmrjc.jpg

The auditorium

IMG_3721-1_zpsghnbasub.jpg

Rather lovely peely paint

IMG_3725-1_zpsoja0nvmy.jpg

The old bar area

IMG_3732-1_zpsaftqm274.jpg

Right. Done... Bye!

ClaireM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've walked past this place so many times and wished I could see inside
Amazing

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice! We tried this one a few years back but happened to pick the one day a massive EDL march was happening right round the corner so the place was crawling with police. :banghead

nibblet1

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi all, just to say, if you are in an old cinema, and you find 'hidden' rooms in the splay walls just to either the side of the stage where you can see decorative grills, or above the proscenium arch with grills or tunnels under the stage with rooms nearest the audience, it's a good chance they are organ chambers. Cinemas from the 30's often had them. Also quite frequently you will find a hole in the centre of the orchestra pit........ that is where the lift was to raise the console to stage level! If you look around, you might also find a large blower turbine with a 3 phase motor and air trunk coming from it........ that is for the air feed to the organ chambers.

xexxa

Xexxa the grey
Banned
Ahh thanks for that info. I'll keep an eye out for these. This one however was nowhere near the stage

nibblet1

28DL Member
28DL Member
Just for everyone's info, I actually own a complete Compton theatre organ...and it plays wonderfully.... If anyone finds their way to the chambers over the Prosc arch at the Forum Southampton I am missing some bits!! 'Nuff said!!! I love seeing what you guys do as I did it in the 60's/70's, no damage, just record everything! Any organ chambers or remaining parts pix would be great to see! many thanks to you all.

xexxa

Xexxa the grey
Banned
Pretty well sealed now. I'm sure there must be other ways in, but they are not for me. Hahah

bodyhater

28DL Member
28DL Member
/ the amount of asbestos fibres you were exposed to,cannot be counted, ive been there, but full face masked and the aib panels we found under floor on main room where chairs were and the bingo machines, he flock that covered all ceiling and the walls for acoustic reasons(back then) i cannot evenremember how much weve found and removed, skips per day over two months this year. so guys be careful when you do these things, and adventure in unknown old places,.

xexxa

Xexxa the grey
Banned
/ the amount of asbestos fibres you were exposed to,cannot be counted, ive been there, but full face masked and the aib panels we found under floor on main room where chairs were and the bingo machines, he flock that covered all ceiling and the walls for acoustic reasons(back then) i cannot evenremember how much weve found and removed, skips per day over two months this year. so guys be careful when you do these things, and adventure in unknown old places,.

Second time I went I was masked lol. I don’t think it was too bad actually. I didn’t come across much really. Nothing that looked particularly dodgy but I was aware there would be quite a bit in there lol

The Explorer Returns

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Second time I went I was masked lol. I don’t think it was too bad actually. I didn’t come across much really. Nothing that looked particularly dodgy but I was aware there would be quite a bit in there lol
The Astoria is gone now guys ! Completely demolished