real time web analytics
Report - - Athena, London, Nov 2009 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Athena, London, Nov 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

kevin arnold

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
My usual exploration mates were not available so the weekend plans fell through. I needed to invent something quickly if I didn't want the weekend to pass without any exploration. After going through my list of places the Athena building in Stratford seemed most appropriate for the evening. So off I went for a trip to faraway Stratford.

Having arrived in front of the building I noticed two things. The good one was that strong wind that had been blowing over the last few days demolished part of the hoarding. It was replaced by harris fence that gave nice, clear view over the whole of the front yard.

The bad news was that the access I'd been thinking of was no longer there. Luckily I had a plan B so after some improvisation and a bit of ducking and diving I reached the staircase.

IMG_1058.jpg

Then to the roof.

The views were good but it was ridiculously windy and there's a fence going all along the edge of the roof, so taking pictures was a real pain in the ass. My cheap wobbly tripod didn't help either.

Stratford High St. Looking both ways.

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

Olympic stadium to the north

IMG_1073.jpg

To the south east there was a good view over Canary Wharf and Millenium Dome but all my pictures were coming out blurry and the fence was getting in the way. Finally I lost my patience and decided to go for the crane.

IMG_1075.jpg

It's not much taller than the building but I thought the view won't be obstructed by any fence. Unfortunately the walkway is on 11th floor so I had to walk all the way down and climb fifteen floors up again. But what can you do. After a while I reached the top of the crane.

IMG_1101.jpg

It was worth it.

Panorama.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

Tried again with Canary Wharf but the pictures were crap again. It just wasn't meant to be.

IMG_1099.jpg

And then back down and to the hoarding, quiet as a mouse.

Great, trouble-free exploration. I saw this advertisement on the tube on my way back home ;)

IMG_1102.jpg

I'm looking forward to this tower that they are apparently going to erect somewhere in the area:

In pictures: Transmission sculpture shortlisted for Olympic Park

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details