real time web analytics
Report - - Badger’s Oak Tunnel, Hawkhurst/Cranbrook, Kent - Nov 2018 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Badger’s Oak Tunnel, Hawkhurst/Cranbrook, Kent - Nov 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Doctor_Woot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The History

Badger’s Oak Tunnel is between Hawkhurst Station (demolished) and Cranbrook Station (repurposed) on the old Hawkhurst Branch Line, which closed on 12 June 1961. The 11½-mile single track branch from Paddock Wood to Hawkhurst was opened in two sections, with the full route coming into service in 1893. It despatched a million potted plants a year to Woolworths stores nationwide. Two short tunnels were constructed by contractor J T Firbank - Horsmonden at 86 yards and the longer Badger's Oak which took the line under a minor road (Park Lane) around one mile north of the terminus. Both are brick-lined and remain open today although Horsmonden's south portal is partly in-filled.

The Explore

This is my first report, and of my maiden explore too, so I hope this doesn’t bore (tunnel/dad joke).

Whilst it didn’t take very long to find the tunnel, it’s quite hard to explain exactly where it is without providing a diagram. This is a perfect site to visit on a dog walk, however, I would advise taking a human along for the reccie too as it could be considered quite a treacherous environment. I managed to pull this off myself but ended up a little battered and bruised after navigating the deep sludge, unstable trees and overhanging vegetation which are all in abundance at both ends of the tunnel (I gave up trying to enter from the south end). The tunnel is circa 180 yards in length and has a slight curve at the southern end. Given the time of year, the tunnel itself was quite waterlogged in places whilst there was a constant sound of dripping water, which made this quite an eerie exploration.

I’ve never taken photography seriously until now and I’m using pretty basic equipment but this was a fun explore for me and I’m keen to crack on and do many more from here. I also plan to revisit Badger’s Oak Tunnel once I’ve more experience with exploring and have improved my photography skills.

I hope you enjoy and feel free to leave feedback :thumb

IMG_7830.jpg

IMG_7887.jpg

IMG_7848.jpg

IMG_7851.jpg

IMG_7888.jpg

IMG_7898.jpg

Last edited:

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I’ve never taken photography seriously until now and I’m using pretty basic equipment but this was a fun explore for me and I’m keen to crack on and do many more from here. I also plan to revisit Badger’s Oak Tunnel once I’ve more experience with exploring and have improved my photography skills.

Not bad for a first report. Tripod and longer exposures next time ftw though! Really like the fly agaric photo at the end.

Doctor_Woot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not bad for a first report. Tripod and longer exposures next time ftw though! Really like the fly agaric photo at the end.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! It's funny as I've shown friends these photos and literally all of them said they liked the shot of the mushrooms - hence adding it in here really. Clearly I need to bin urbex and setup a mushroom appreciation forum for sharing snaps of them :D

Who has read this thread (Total: 148) View details