real time web analytics
Report - - Barnes Convalescent Home - April 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barnes Convalescent Home - April 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
This place has been done to death, but seems to be a rights of passage for local urban explorers (and sadly, vandals), so I thought I'd take a look.

Barnes Hospital, is located in Cheadle, Greater Manchester. The main building is Grade II listed, but the remainder of the hospital has been demolished.

The hospital had many uses through out its history, such as a convalescent home for wounded soldiers during World War II, it was last used for geriatric care and stroke patients. Sadly it closed in September 1999 when Manchester Healthcare Trust was undergoing a £2 million cost cuts. They sold the hospital for £2 million to Reality Estates who plan to convert the main building into 42 flats. Although work started with the demolition of the outer buildings and the gutting of the main building, work seems to have stopped. The hospital temporarily housed a large group of Kosovan refugees following its closure.

It was featured on Most Haunted Live in September 2005 but was sadly portrayed as a lunatic asylum.

The site was briefly occupied by around 100 gypsy families in February 2007.

barnesexterior.jpg

barnes1.jpg

barnes2.jpg

barnes7.jpg

barnes3.jpg

barnes5.jpg

No access to the clock-tower these days

barnes6.jpg

barnes4.jpg

Seemed like a decent place to hide from security​

barnes8.jpg

barnes9.jpg

barnes12.jpg

barnes10.jpg

barnes11.jpg

Its a bit of a state, but still a decent explore.

I also managed to bump straight into security in the woods on the way back out, but he's obviously dodged one too many salads and I was on my toes and gone :)

Cheers for looking :thumb

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details