Web
Analytics
Report - - Barnes Hospital - Cheadle - May 12 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barnes Hospital - Cheadle - May 12



Mr Beady

Beards
28DL Full Member
#1
History

Barnes Hospital,, also known as Barnes Convalescent Home, in Cheadle, Greater Manchester, England, is a former hospital. It is located near to the A34 road and is in the middle of the complex interchange between the A34, M60 motorway and M56 motorway. Whilst the hospital was constructed in a rural setting, it is now surrounded by roads. The main building is Grade II listed, and lies on green belt land. A donation of £26,000 for the founding of a new convalescent hospital in Cheadle was made in 1869 by Robert Barnes. Construction of the hospital, named the Barnes Convalescent Home, started in 1871 and was completed in 1875. It was constructed of bricks, the clay for which was provided locally. Broken remains of three stone high crosses were discovered in 1874 during the construction of the hospital. The location of only one of these is known today; this consists of a crosshead of Celtic cross form with a central boss, and dates from the late 10th or 11th century. It is now located in St Mary’s Church, Cheadle. The other two pieces are said to be part of a much older cross, and the upper part of an Anglo-Saxon cross shaft. The main use for the hospital in its later life was for geriatric care and stroke patients. It closed in September 1999 while Manchester Healthcare Trust was undergoing a £2 million cost cut. The hospital was sold in 2001, and is now owned by Reality Estates. During World War II the hospital was used as a convalescent home for wounded soldiers. The hospital temporarily housed a large group of Kosovan refugees following its closure. It was featured on Most Haunted Live in September 2005.


BarnesHospital1.jpg


BarnesHospital2.jpg


BarnesHospital4.jpg


BarnesHospital5.jpg


BarnesHospital6.jpg


BarnesHospital7.jpg
BarnesHospital10.jpg


BarnesHospital8.jpg


BarnesHospital11.jpg