real time web analytics
Report - - Barrow Gurney Mental Hospital - May 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barrow Gurney Mental Hospital - May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

latentux

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've been browsing this and similar forums for a while and finally decided it was time to do some exploring myself.

Living in Bristol one of the obvious choices was Barrow Gurney Mental Hospital. I'm well aware that this location has been visited many times but it seemed like a good start.

I started with East Villa I tried to work my way through the buildings. But when I reached the end of the Alexandra Unit I had to make a retreat when I found that someone who I presumed were security were in the next section.

I made a detour through the woods to get to the buildings beyond and worked my way back towards The Center. Security/workmen were still there and it sounded like they were breaking something up. I had a snoop around the southern edge of the site and there were just huge piles of rubble where the patients wards had once been.

I had been on site for about three hours and still hadn't visited all that was there. Security/workers were busy loading up a small pick-up when I skirted round them on my way out.

Next day being a Bank Holiday I thought it should be pretty quiet again, so I went back in the afternoon and visited a couple more buildings.

The structures seem to be in a state of rapid decline, having been partially stripped of copper, roof tiles, doors, and whatever else was thought useful. The top floor of Woodside was really wet inside. Heavy rain poured in through large. gaps and cracks around most of the windows.

It's a shame I didn't think of doing this before. Viewing other posts on Barrow Gurney it seems there are quite a few areas and views that are frequently photographed. But as nature is reclaiming most of the estate and the structures are vandalised, materials stripped, and weathered, the same views change with time.

There are still some parts I want to go back to. Just hope I get to do it before they disappear.

East Villa.

DSC01112.jpg

DSC01116copy.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01139.jpg

Alexandra Unit.

DSC01157.jpg

DSC01158.jpg

DSC01161.jpg

DSC01159copy.jpg

DSC01175.jpg