real time web analytics
Report - - Battersea Power Station - The Big #2 Tour - September 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Battersea Power Station - The Big #2 Tour - September 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
So after visiting this iconic site the month before and not getting around to seeing everything I wanted plans were made to visit again. Did the visit and then forgot all about the photos :crazy

The first visit involved 25 odd people on the roof, being scared shitless by Skeleton Key & 4am drives home. Visit two involved a full on night marathon being held in the surrounding grounds and more 4am drives home. Inbetween that access had just resorted to the ridiculous.. never imagined Battersea to ever offer up access quite like it did during this spell. Visited with far to many people to remember but shouts out to the expert tour guide DMax who's 3d render of the place is going to be amazing when finally finished. If you've not seen it previously check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV54Tfo8cdY

Battersea Power Station is a decommissioned coal-fired power station located on the south bank of the River Thames, in Battersea, an inner-city district of South West London. It comprises two individual power stations, built in two stages in the form of a single building. Battersea A Power Station was built in the 1930s, with Battersea B Power Station to its east in the 1950s. The two stations were built to an identical design, providing the well known four-chimney layout.

The station ceased generating electricity in 1983, but over the past 50 years it has become one of the best known landmarks in London and is Grade II* listed. The station’s celebrity owes much to numerous cultural appearances, which include a shot in The Beatles’ 1965 movie Help!, appearing in the video for the 1982 hit single “You’ve Got Another Thing Comin’†by heavy metal band Judas Priest and being used in the cover art of Pink Floyd’s 1977 album Animals, as well as a cameo appearance in Take That’s music video “The Floodâ€. In addition, a photograph of the plant’s control room was used as cover art on Hawkwind’s 1977 album Quark, Strangeness and Charm.

Since the station’s closure the site has remained largely unused, with numerous failed redevelopment plans from successive site owners.

The station is the largest brick building in Europe and is notable for its original, lavish Art Deco interior fittings and décor. However, the building’s condition has been described as “very bad†by English Heritage and is included in its Heritage at Risk Register

On 7 June 2012, it was officially announced by Knight Frank that administrators Ernst & Young had entered into an exclusivity agreement with SP Setia and Sime Darby and were working towards a timely exchange and completion of the site and associated land. Construction on Phase 1 is due to commence in 2013, with completion due in 2016/17.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

12.jpg

Thanks for looking, all my BPS photos can be found ere: Battersea Power Station, London | Whatevers Left | UK Urbex

eclectic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow old skool, what a great report mate well done :) That must have been fun.

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Very noice. Good times these were, the amount of people here on that one night in particular was crazy
:D

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really fun nights these were, youve done well to get any photos without me in them, especially in the white room where im sure i sat down on the couch for quite a while. Top work as ever.

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Aye was some good times.

It was a bit disconcerting looking down from the chimney to see people walking around on the roof, thankfully was just SK and his friends!

Gotta do it again some time. :)

green godess

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Aye was some good times.

It was a bit disconcerting looking down from the chimney to see people walking around on the roof, thankfully was just SK and his friends!

Gotta do it again some time. :)

Thanks for submitting those wonderful photos of the control equipment, really well done.

I'm an old codger now, but I do recall seeing a short film showing the power station when it was fully operational; quite a set-up by all accounts, such a shame so much of it is in ruins.

Incidentally, the station was built with just two chimneys, then a third and finally a four was added as they increased the boilers and capacity and output of the station.

Thanks again for your efforts and posting those photo's

G G

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Bloody ace work Tumbles. Nerdy I know, but I could park my backside on the floor of the the control rooms and just admire them for hours. The architecture of the panels and all the engineering that went into the design and ultimate build is beyond belief. I'd love to get inside the panels for a prod around, I bet the busbar workings are ace! I'd shed a tear if any of it gets trashed :(

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Thanks for submitting those wonderful photos of the control equipment, really well done.

I'm an old codger now, but I do recall seeing a short film showing the power station when it was fully operational; quite a set-up by all accounts, such a shame so much of it is in ruins.

Incidentally, the station was built with just two chimneys, then a third and finally a four was added as they increased the boilers and capacity and output of the station.

Thanks again for your efforts and posting those photo's

G G

You'll probably love Dmax's site -for some reason it seems offline - but the webarchives have it.

Has some lovely old shots of BPS during early years/construction etc Battersea Power Station