real time web analytics
Report - - Battersea Station Utility Tunnel B, London [Winter 2015] | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Battersea Station Utility Tunnel B, London [Winter 2015]

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PatientTheory

Yung explorer
28DL Full Member
This tunnel is no longer doable via our way. Explored with @Cloudseed. If only Ru came along, but his claustrophobia sent him home :(

History/Information
“These tunnels were built to carry high voltage power cables under the Thames from Battersea Power Station to Pimlico. B tunnel was most likely constructed at the same time as the A part of the tunnel in the late 1920s and early 1930s. There is a third tunnel under the Thames from Battersea, built in the 1950s to supply the Churchill Gardens Estate with waste heat from the power station (we didn’t explore this one).”

The Explore
The entry was quite an adventurous one. If you know, you know. Its one of those where people question, "Who the hell was the first to even think about this?". Being one of the first utility tunnels I've done, I was lucky to have left masks in my bag, as it was one of the dustiest places I've seen. The air particles would glisten in the light of the torch, vortexing every time I breathed.

This intersection was riddled with signs showing the approximate length of each direction’s tunnel. The one on the left is 287 metres, and the right one is around 200 metres.

LyyR4vq.jpg

I’m guessing some electrical cables may have been stripped, as there was hardly anything on the side-rack.

b1ODA1p.jpg

After a long trek, we were greeted by the lit up section. The ladder leads to Battersea shaft B.

dRYb3MG.jpg

At the top of shaft B.

OYojGnP.jpg

This turbine hall is at the end of the 500 metres tunnel. There are 2 manholes that takes you into the battersea power station.

ebYKfTT.jpg

Behind camera of above picture. Sign suggests this is the A tunnel.

3LBecjS.jpg

ocniz4b.jpg

This is the best section of the tunnel. It measures at 10 meters in diameter.

mRNs4fj.jpg

We then walked further down the stretch, only to find the tunnel flooded beyond the base of shaft A. We felt too ignorant to not see what's above us, and popped a few manhole lids from under. A few foxes ran past us as we crept around Battersea power station, mimicking an ‘Oi’ you’d expect from a worker. This proved a lucky encounter when we turned around to find an orange vested guy poking his head out behind a drilling machine. We hastily dropped back inside the hole and ran for our lives.​

Who has read this thread (Total: 7) View details