real time web analytics
Battery 2 - Stokes Bay - Subterranean Munitions Areas - Gosport - May 2014 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Battery 2 - Stokes Bay - Subterranean Munitions Areas - Gosport - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
An organised visit by permission of the Diving Museum who currently reside in the old munitions storage areas below the remains of the gun turrets. The areas shown in the pictures below and access to the turrets are not available to the public so thanks to Sub-Brit for organising the visit.

A full history can be found here but in brief several of these batteries where built along the coast to protect from French invasion during the mid 18th century. This battery is about the only one to survive in reasonable condition and lastly saw service as a Nuclear Defence bunker during the 1980's. It is now grade two listed.

OUTSIDE

General view of the remaining gun emplacements.

IMGP2409copy_zpsc8a47510.jpg

Gun emplacement.

IMGP2410copy_zps7d470684.jpg

IMGP2411copy_zpsd3274bb3.jpg

INSIDE

A room used for general storage that contains the entrance to the munition
bunkers.

IMGP2407copy_zps4127bc79.jpg

A set of stairs leads down the bunker between the gun emplacements.

IMGP2402copy_zps55a42cae.jpg

Which drops into this corridor with a door leading off...

IMGP2394copy_zps3ea95f5b.jpg

...into this room. Not sure what the low, partly filled in door frames are about. This area must have once been accessible to the public given the amount of early 80's graff about

IMGP2362copy_zps1b8beea9.jpg

Elegant detail on the vent grills.

IMGP2396copy_zpsdb45f645.jpg

Then it's back up a short flight of stairs to the area's at the back of the
battery.

IMGP2364copy_zps8a46bccc.jpg

Along the stairs where these small, filled in mystery “windows”.

IMGP2393copy_zps905848ea.jpg

The “back area” of the battery.

IMGP2372copy_zps2bf10475.jpg

IMGP2373copy_zps472a0c37.jpg

And then this small room tucked in just behind.

IMGP2370copy_zpsa7259183.jpg

The last room in this area contains the old air purifying equipment, perhaps left over from it's days a nuclear bunker.

IMGP2378copy_zpse9243605.jpg

Note the instructions in French...?

IMGP2390copy_zpsb559c81c.jpg

IMGP2387copy_zpsf45005fa.jpg

IMGP2380copy_zpsf0bf4a4a.jpg

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Right up my street this, decent photies and a fascinating place, thanks for sharing it.

mrg9999

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We were asked by the museum, not to post images of the caravan site or its occupants, as taken from the top of the bunker. I'd either crop or remove it. The reset are excellent.

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
We were asked by the museum, not to post images of the caravan site or its occupants, as taken from the top of the bunker. I'd either crop or remove it. The reset are excellent.

Well no one said anything to me and I made a point to ask, but anyway I've edited out the caravans.

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Nice shots there Els, all my shots ended up with loads of people in! I didnt realise other bods from here would be there couldve said hi ( well, probably did at some point without knowing :D ).

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nice shots there Els, all my shots ended up with loads of people in! I didnt realise other bods from here would be there couldve said hi ( well, probably did at some point without knowing :D ).

Should have given me a shout, could have reclaimed my head torch