real time web analytics
Bethania Chapel - Nefyn - August 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Bethania Chapel - Nefyn - August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DustySensorPhotography

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History:
Built in 1875, this Methodist Chapel sits alone and isolated on the coast of an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
I couldn't find much on this place, but the Chapel Diary suggested the last gathering was 1986.
Its history culminated in 2017 when planning permission was granted to revitalize and renovate the structure into a holiday unit, though with coronavirus' inimitable effect on the tourism industry, this plan has likely been delayed even further.

Notwithstanding this I do have a little personal history to this place, however dated and distant it may be:
I only discovered after the explore and I had absolutely no idea at the time, but it turns out (after a little digging) that my own great grandmother, whom I never met, was buried here decades ago!
It came as rather a surprise since I'd never lived in the area before and neither had any of my close family, but nonetheless it is true!

The Explore:
Was expecting this to be sealed upon arrival, though clearly I misapprehended this place as I got in without too much trouble.
Regrettably the conjoined building - which was was feasibly for Sunday School - appeared sealed, though the Chapel alone made for some decent photos!

This was the only room in the building, still bedecked with the classic, prototypical chapel/church pews.

Upon the board lay the chapel diary which dated most recently to 1986.

The entire building is somewhat lopsided and so level shots were slightly more problematic than I first assumed, though it turned out not to be much of an issue.
The stained glass remained a prominent reminder of the ornate and opulent manner in which churches and chapels alike are decorated.

This piano, against the odds, worked almost punctiliously to play the notes it once would have done during ceremonious events.

Surprisingly it actually appears more dishevelled from the outside than it does on the inside.

The likedly-Sunday School building without entry can be seen on the right.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_9976.jpg
    IMG_9976.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9978.jpg
    IMG_9978.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 31

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report and great little place. Drew a complete blank chapel-wise on my recent trip to North Wales. They were either sealed, in the process of being converted or already converted. Passed this place but clearly should have given it at look.

DustySensorPhotography

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It's a nice little chapel, I pass it most days on the way to work, there's at least another three in the area :thumb
Might be worth popping in one day for a few shots if you haven’t already!
There are way too many in that area and in Wales in general to be honest:thumb

DustySensorPhotography

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report and great little place. Drew a complete blank chapel-wise on my recent trip to North Wales. They were either sealed, in the process of being converted or already converted. Passed this place but clearly should have given it at look.
Loads of them are being converted which is nice to see and is a sharp contrast to what goes on in England! Though we do have many fewer...
Thanks man! :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 197) View details