real time web analytics
Report - - Birch Hill Hospital, Rochdale - July 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Birch Hill Hospital, Rochdale - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

neizt

Lazy Explorer
28DL Full Member
History:
In 1871, the Union purchased a 24-acre site on the slopes of Birch Hill and Starring Hill at Dearnley for £2,500. The following year, building work began on a large new workhouse.

In March 1873, the old Spotland workhouse partially collapsed, possibly because of subsidence due to an old coal-pit beneath the building. However, since the new workhouse was far from ready, the Spotland building had to be patched up and was used for another four yours. Even then its days were not over — in 1881, Rochdale Corporation were forced to rent it for use as a temporary isolation hospital during a smallpox epidemic.

In 1902, a 172-bed infirmary was built at the north of the workhouse. It had a central administration block with male and female ward pavilions to each side.

During the First World War, part of the site was taken over by the military who also erected tents in the grounds.

In 1930, control of the site passed to Rochdale County Borough, with the Poor Law Institution being run by the Public Assistance Committee and the Hospital being run by the Health Committee. With the inauguration of the National Health Service in 1948, the site became a single hospital known as Birch Hill. Now run by Rochdale Healthcare NHS Trust, many of the original buildings are still in use. The former imbecile and infirmary blocks at the east of the site are believed to be scheduled for replacement.

In 2001, English Heritage decided not to grant the buildings 'listed' status and their future was uncertain.

I believe the hospital eventually closed it's doors in early 2013.

The Visit:
A day out with a list of places and one stop was here. Visited with @David Hullton and a non member. Fairly straightforward visit, although we were unable to leave the same way we entered as there was a police car parked up there! Sadly the way we went in would have been even more tricky carrying a camera around, so photo's are from an iPhone.

Doesn't seem to be many reports on this place and as I've only just returned to the urbexing scene, I thought why not :)

Photos:
19818516230_d18d4c51d5_b.jpg

19383882054_b8c6499586_b.jpg

19980253926_52f3d7f323_b.jpg

20006508415_607e93a43c_b.jpg

19818426258_30932397d5_b.jpg

19998762862_996df89f0c_b.jpg

20011753201_2e5dbc269c_b.jpg

19980260246_c0308f09d3_b.jpg

20006514535_d6df6c0bcd_b.jpg

19818433218_b574aba21c_b.jpg

20011763961_c16a2d1349_b.jpg

19819851229_825ed8a48a_b.jpg

19383902814_1b0d7f09dd_b.jpg

20011771321_06bdba1138_b.jpg

19818432568_e7421443aa_b.jpg

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
NICE REPORT that clock tower is something else in it ? did you explore the cellars too? how far along the conversion are they need to revisit to finish my album pal

neizt

Lazy Explorer
28DL Full Member
Oh yes, it's great up there! Wish I'd have taken my proper camera. Another visit may be on the cards :)

Not sure about the conversion, don't think much has changed recently anyway.

Didn't realise it had a cellar until I got home and read some reports!

Lancashire lad

28DL Full Member
Oh yes, it's great up there! Wish I'd have taken my proper camera. Another visit may be on the cards :)

Not sure about the conversion, don't think much has changed recently anyway.

Didn't realise it had a cellar until I got home and read some reports!
yeh its dark as hell and muddy like thick sludge access stil easy?

neizt

Lazy Explorer
28DL Full Member
Oh yeah, easy enough. Just crawled under a gate haha.

Think someone must have seen us though, or they saw me moving one of the clocks and that's why police turned up!

Lancashire lad

28DL Full Member
Oh yeah, easy enough. Just crawled under a gate haha.

Think someone must have seen us though, or they saw me moving one of the clocks and that's why police turned up!
aye its dodgy with all the houses around now to many nosey nieghbours lol

neizt

Lazy Explorer
28DL Full Member
Yeah that's the problem. Same situation at the High Royds Asylum in Leeds. That's what put me off going in.

Lancashire lad

28DL Full Member
Yeah that's the problem. Same situation at the High Royds Asylum in Leeds. That's what put me off going in.
went highroyds on Thursday theres gonna be nowt left pal all the old derelict stuff is now storage for all the materials went in about four corridors and found it all full of crap

Zeebex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys not saturday just gone 2 saturdays before, some kids went in and tried to chav the building they were going to start a fire in there, there are cams and sensors and a silent alarm, on a windy night the fire doors will blow open wide from the air pressure inside the building. even a cat can set it off

I know is the building is to be restored back to its former glory but in the form of 1 bed and 2 bed luxury apartments and townhouses but still keeping the same outer facade, Please beware that there could be a possibility that the floorboards have been cut as ive been told they are very poorly in places.

It was said that in 2013 the building was hit with an arson attack

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/birch-hill-arson-raids-nightmare-1001657

"Developer Persimmon Homes bought 28 acres of the former hospital site, on Union Road, for £21.5m in 2007 for housing – and the site has room for up to 400 homes. The historic clock tower will be preserved and form a centrepiece of the new development"

I have not been inside but enjoy everybody elses post's :)

Keep Your Heritage Alive

Last edited:

Zeebex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi Andy K "The historic clock tower will be preserved and form a centrepiece of the new development" I will get a picture when I can, everything will be there and the clock tower is going to have a full refurbishment. when you are on the site there is a plaque showing what the development will look like once complete.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Hi Andy K "The historic clock tower will be preserved and form a centrepiece of the new development" I will get a picture when I can, everything will be there and the clock tower is going to have a full refurbishment. when you are on the site there is a plaque showing what the development will look like once complete.

Ahh just seen the post above. That's good news :)