real time web analytics
Report - - Birch Hill Hospital, Rochdale. Sept 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Birch Hill Hospital, Rochdale. Sept 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
In 1871, the Union purchased a 24-acre site on the slopes of Birch Hill and Starring Hill at Dearnley for £2,500. The following year, building work began on a large new workhouse.

In March 1873, the old Spotland workhouse partially collapsed, possibly because of subsidence due to an old coal-pit beneath the building. However, since the new workhouse was far from ready, the Spotland building had to be patched up and was used for another four yours. Even then its days were not over — in 1881, Rochdale Corporation were forced to rent it for use as a temporary isolation hospital during a smallpox epidemic.

In 1902, a 172-bed infirmary was built at the north of the workhouse. It had a central administration block with male and female ward pavilions to each side.

During the First World War, part of the site was taken over by the military who also erected tents in the grounds.

In 1930, control of the site passed to Rochdale County Borough, with the Poor Law Institution being run by the Public Assistance Committee and the Hospital being run by the Health Committee. With the inauguration of the National Health Service in 1948, the site became a single hospital known as Birch Hill. Now run by Rochdale Healthcare NHS Trust, many of the original buildings are still in use. The former imbecile and infirmary blocks at the east of the site are believed to be scheduled for replacement.

In 2001, English Heritage decided not to grant the buildings 'listed' status and their future was uncertain.

I believe the hospital eventually closed it's doors in early 2013.

Well we dropped the ball here! I think this would have been really good if caught at the right time. It's pretty stripped now and it's obvious much has been demolished, but it's worth a visit just for the clock tower which currently remains intact.

The cellars are also quite impressive, and are much more extensive then in your average hospital. I'd already packed my camera up when I stumbled across a telephone exchange and a few other interesting rooms down there, but there is more to see than is shown here...

The original dining hall is also quite intact, kind of like an asylum main hall but without a stage. Lovely original wooden ceiling and a few gas lamp knuckles dotted around. The curved corridor that leads to it is also rather unique.

Worth a stop if your passing, if for nothing but the tower....

DSC_0099_zpsmkbuogks.jpg
DSC_0103_zpsndydozpa.jpg

DSC_0107_zpszfbnrtjx.jpg

DSC_0109_zpsnsyhmyps.jpg

DSC_0111_zpspuca1kj2.jpg

DSC_0113%20-%20Copy_zpsvw44mmii.jpg

DSC_0115_zpssbk6w6lv.jpg

Water tanks in the tower, solid slate!!
DSC_0122_zpsonkkctqh.jpg

DSC_0126_zpsicwmtpcv.jpg

DSC_0128_zpsg9mxx6ne.jpg

DSC_0129_zpsotmgwysi.jpg

DSC_0130_zpsdoshh92a.jpg
DSC_0145_zps82lomfbu.jpg

DSC_0133_zps0rdrznph.jpg

DSC_0139_zpsbjfnfj4y.jpg

DSC_0140_zpsnovoictz.jpg

DSC_0141_zps2pyqvwio.jpg

DSC_0144_zps7rojrawk.jpg

DSC_0153_zpsrqcqywiy.jpg
DSC_0154_zpsp8ay6rmg.jpg

DSC_0149_zps4xaqents.jpg

DSC_0150_zpsolvibq3f.jpg
DSC_0152_zpstmoguxr7.jpg

DSC_0156_zpssi7cg2lr.jpg

DSC_0159_zpsjiwddwkc.jpg

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah very nice, I've been in far worse hospitals!

Is the remaining bit being converted or demolished do you know?

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Is the remaining bit being converted or demolished do you know?

Converted, the banisters are all wrapped up to protect them and a few lath and plaster ceilings are currently being pulled down so work has begun by the looks of things...

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Converted, the banisters are all wrapped up to protect them and a few lath and plaster ceilings are currently being pulled down so work has begun by the looks of things...

Always good to hear, thanks :thumb

Yeah I wasn't sure if maybe it was just being salvaged pre-demo.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
What's gone on there then? Don't remember hearing about that before and it looks ace. Little mini asylum.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
What's gone on there then? Don't remember hearing about that before and it looks ace. Little mini asylum.

There is a report from 2008 but that looks to be in a building a long way off from the clock, and the next one is 2014 and it looks pretty much as we found it... The main hospital closed quite recently so they have not hung around.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It's been empty a few years Speed, surprised none of the derp brigade bothered with it until this year

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Must go check some of the local hospitals again this weekend before they all ensbup the same!