real time web analytics
Report - - Bixhead Stone Mine, Forest of Dean - June 2018 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bixhead Stone Mine, Forest of Dean - June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Having seen the most excellent report by Mr. @Bertie Bollockbrains from the Brecon Beacons, I was partly (read fully !) inspired to try something similar. Bixhead Stone Mine isn't a part of that but as we just happened to be walking past it, we decided to go down to the entry point as rumour had it, that it had changed but had no intention of going in. On arriving, it seems that someone has gone to an awful lot of work / trouble and actually dug down and dug out the entrance to leave it in its original state. After all that work, it seemed curlish not to go in an have a wander.

HISTORY (from the afore mentioned Mr. Bollockbrains) :
Bixslade is a short steep-sided valley lying in the west of the Forest of Dean. Stone has been extracted continuously since the 15th century at least. The earliest surviving documents record a lease to John Hawtyne for the sum of 4 shillings. In 1675 there were about 20 quarries at Bixhead. In 1856 it was noted that there were a total of 320 quarries in the whole of the forest of Dean.

Whilst most of these quarries have been filled in, today three extensive deep quarries can be found at Bixhead which together with their tips occupy an area of 0.3 sq. km. The mostly northerly is the inactive Pullen’s Quarry which once had a deep pool at its base (the pool was somehow recently drained due to cases of drowning in the 1970s).

The next deep pit quarry lies to the east and is marked by an ascending curve by which a tramroad reached the quarry heads. It’s main face is to the north and at it’s base are the underground workings featured in this report. Now inactive, it was worked until the 1960s and the lease is still held by Forest of Dean Stone Firms Ltd.

Further east lies the present active quarry worked by Forest of Dean Stone Firms. The quarry employs about 30 workers and the method of working the stone is by drilling and splitting with wedges.

Throughout the UK, numerous municipal and civic buildings of the 19th century were constructed of the stone including: University College of Wales at Aberystwyth, University College London and the Shire Hall in Gloucester. Locals claim that London Bridge is built of the stone. More recently the stone has been used for the regeneration of Bath railway Station and Bridgend town centre.

1. Railing
42101674165_bb68125d6a_b.jpg
2. Block

41192877190_a9f5fd357c_b.jpg
3. Bolt me up Scotty

41192875380_687afbc3ea_b.jpg
4. Right angle

42101669605_52aa09d226_b.jpg
5. Space

41192871770_bd157c714a_b.jpg
6. Saw

42101666585_6a254db7eb_b.jpg
7. Pillar

29130984058_2497b752c0_b.jpg
8. Door

41192866390_0c32ee6f9a_b.jpg
9. Prop

41192864990_61d843bf30_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Funny, I thought the sun was all over Towcester this month but this seems like once again you had it in your pocket down another hole in the ground! Top pics as always. Can you give us a sense of scale?

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
looks a decent little explore, not one of the larger stone mines I'd guess from look of it but size isn't everything. Nice to see a mine thats not covered in arrows or graffiti - the Box mines for instance are massive but seem to be so plastered in graffiti that it seriously degrades the experience of exploring them.

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Funny, I thought the sun was all over Towcester this month but this seems like once again you had it in your pocket down another hole in the ground! Top pics as always. Can you give us a sense of scale?

Cheers @Yorrick, much appreciated (and sorry for the late reply, no broadband for the best part of two weeks - I did pay the bill, honest guv !)

See what you mean regarding scale. Have seen some similar photos with people in them so will find them and post up for comparrison.

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
looks a decent little explore, not one of the larger stone mines I'd guess from look of it but size isn't everything. Nice to see a mine thats not covered in arrows or graffiti - the Box mines for instance are massive but seem to be so plastered in graffiti that it seriously degrades the experience of exploring them.

Compact and bijou !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
I was there Thursday doing something else underground, almost talked my colleagues into having a quick look since we were there but the mine we were doing was a lot bigger so we gave it a miss.

The Quarry is live and they have been trying very hard to reopen the stone mine recently. which probably explains the access being open, when Me and Bertie did it there was just a couple of bits of Heras blocking the entrance which we slipped under very easily. Did you manage to get through the hole on the other side of the pool? Theres another big chamber in there.

Who has read this thread (Total: 180) View details