real time web analytics
Report - - Blickling Hall Brick Kilns..Norfolk, February 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Blickling Hall Brick Kilns..Norfolk, February 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Blickling Hall is large country estate and hall on a grand scale. The estate and house is managed by the national trust. These large estates had set ups to be self efficient and this one is no exception. You can still find remains of some old stuff as the trust can’t restore everything. They usually concentrate on the bigger, grander things near the main estate. You can find the odd thing if you look hard enough, like these old brickworks set away from the main estate. The brickworks was originally built on what is now a Plantation which carried on in use till they built a newer one around the mid to late 18th century. The old one was then made into the plantation to disguise the old kids and debris in the pit. The new one was built at Whitetop common and is set in a valley, this has been made deeper due to clay extraction for brick making. A house sits behind the brickworks and prob built for the supervisor of the workks, it’s still lived in. The brickworks started with a single wood fired kiln, then more were added because of extensive works on the estate, and the need for more bricks. The single kiln and a pair of kilns still exist with a coal store next to the latter. The site consisted of wash pit, moulding sheds, drying sheds and a pug mill. There are two rooms in this set up still standing, they both have very high walls.
It was quite an interesting wander and more to see than expected. There was talk of the trust restoring them, but I guess that all it was, just talk. They are now in a very ruinous condition.

Looking over the main kiln area, someone has put up chestnut fencing up to stop people wandering in.

IMG_6685.jpeg

Looking over the overgrown mess.

IMG_6687.jpeg

Entrance to the original kiln, set down a ditch.

IMG_6688.jpeg

IMG_6689.jpeg

IMG_6690.jpeg

Inside the kiln looking through. I crawled up the tunnel, but it led nowhere. I got covered in clay for absolutely nothing.

IMG_6691.jpeg

Looking out of the kiln.

IMG_6692.jpeg

Heading to the newer kiln.

IMG_6693.jpeg

it was quite flooded inside, luckily some wood lay about to balance on.

IMG_6695.jpeg

IMG_6696.jpeg

How the kilns would have looked whilst in use.

2596_700.jpg

The coal store.

IMG_6697.jpeg

The first of two rooms. This had holes in the brickwork, maybe for shelving for drying out the bricks.

IMG_6698.jpeg

IMG_6699.jpeg

IMG_6700.jpeg

Second room.

IMG_6701.jpeg

IMG_6702.jpeg

Getting on top of the kilns. You could see down into the two rroms, was surprising how high you are.

IMG_6703.jpeg

IMG_6705.jpeg

Was then going to go when I spotted some brickwork in the distance. So had a wander over. It seems this was the pug mill. This brickwork had a channel through for prob excess water. Behind this you can work out the round circle with a channel in it. This would have prob been horse driven.

IMG_6706.jpeg

IMG_6707.jpeg

IMG_6708.jpeg

Heading back to the car I spotted the old ice house. It is on a public walkway through some woodland. But as I have never seen an ice house I thought I would get some shots. They had gated the main refrigeration well. But when you look down you can see why. Ice houses are basically an early for of a refrigerator before electricity. Only something the rich could afford, and normally on large estates like this. A large brick well was built with a passageway and two doors almost like a compression chamber to keep it cool. A large vent lid was added, this could add as a harch to throw ice in. And a small run off was built at the bottom for a water that melted. They were often built in banks to keep the cool air in, and near ponds to feed them, often ponds were built for these. The ice could be kept for up to a year too a year and a half.

IMG_6709.jpeg

IMG_6710.jpeg

IMG_6711.jpeg

IMG_6712.jpeg

Not a huge site but an interesting one none the less.

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah I was surprised they ain't collapsed. That across prop must be holding it up ha ha. I would not be surprised if there are some how flooded it was in parts :rofl