real time web analytics
Report - - Bourne Park Tunnel, Kent, June 2023 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bourne Park Tunnel, Kent, June 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DuskyHawk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I don’t think this tunnel has been reported on here before, it’s perhaps not as interesting as some of the other disused railway tunnels reported on, but it did play an unusual role in WW2.

The tunnel was part of the Elham Valley railway line, which operated from 1887 to 1947 and connected Folkestone to Canterbury. During WW2 it closed to passengers and was used for military cargo, and a passing loop in the tunnel housed the heaviest of three railway-mounted guns that ran on the line – the gun could take shelter in the tunnel and be rolled out for firing. The recoil from the gun firing its 1,300kg shells would drive the gun back 6m and also distort the track, despite reinforcement.

The tunnel was built as a ‘cut-and-cover’ tunnel – it could have simply been a cutting, but the owner of the nearby Bourne Park House objected to the visual intrusion, hence the 370-metre tunnel.

My partner and I explored the tunnel on a hot day, and were looking forward to some cool air inside the tunnel, but checked out a couple of small buildings in the cutting on the approach to the tunnel first. This one had very little in it:

2023-06-09 15.26.51.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-06-11-15h55m26s405.jpg

But the second one had some rusted metal drums and a few books, some partially burned. One was a Readers Digest magazine from 1996!

2023-06-09 15.33.51.jpg

Because of the curve in the tunnel, no light was visible from the other end at first:

2023-06-09 15.49.59.jpg

Looking back the other way, it was possible to see light, as there was more sunlight at the end we’d started from:

2023-06-09 15.58.17.jpg

Not much to report in the tunnel itself, a few alcoves, some graffiti and the remains of a camp fire. But interesting to see a site of some historical wartime significance.

vlcsnap-2023-06-11-15h57m56s633.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-06-11-16h00m36s695.jpg

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
I don’t think this tunnel has been reported on here before, it’s perhaps not as interesting as some of the other disused railway tunnels reported on, but it did play an unusual role in WW2.

The tunnel was part of the Elham Valley railway line, which operated from 1887 to 1947 and connected Folkestone to Canterbury. During WW2 it closed to passengers and was used for military cargo, and a passing loop in the tunnel housed the heaviest of three railway-mounted guns that ran on the line – the gun could take shelter in the tunnel and be rolled out for firing. The recoil from the gun firing its 1,300kg shells would drive the gun back 6m and also distort the track, despite reinforcement.

The tunnel was built as a ‘cut-and-cover’ tunnel – it could have simply been a cutting, but the owner of the nearby Bourne Park House objected to the visual intrusion, hence the 370-metre tunnel.

My partner and I explored the tunnel on a hot day, and were looking forward to some cool air inside the tunnel, but checked out a couple of small buildings in the cutting on the approach to the tunnel first. This one had very little in it:

2023-06-09 15.26.51.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-06-11-15h55m26s405.jpg

But the second one had some rusted metal drums and a few books, some partially burned. One was a Readers Digest magazine from 1996!

2023-06-09 15.33.51.jpg

Because of the curve in the tunnel, no light was visible from the other end at first:

2023-06-09 15.49.59.jpg

Looking back the other way, it was possible to see light, as there was more sunlight at the end we’d started from:

2023-06-09 15.58.17.jpg

Not much to report in the tunnel itself, a few alcoves, some graffiti and the remains of a camp fire. But interesting to see a site of some historical wartime significance.

vlcsnap-2023-06-11-15h57m56s633.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-06-11-16h00m36s695.jpg
Nice report, i have been there a few times it would make a great public footpath considering there is one running about it I dunno why they dont make it one

DuskyHawk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report, i have been there a few times it would make a great public footpath considering there is one running about it I dunno why they dont make it one
Yes, it would be a good footpath, and there's precedent in Bath, where a couple of disused tunnels are now part of a shared cycle / foot path. Two Tunnels Greenway - Wikipedia

I guess money would need to be found to check the roof for any loose materials on a regular basis - that was my only concern going in there, as I could see bits of brick on the ground that had fallen. I wondered about wearing a bike helmet on similar visits in future! 😂

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Oh wow. It's story time for me now.

After my grandfather on my father's side died a long time before I was born, my father's mother married Robert Prestige, grandson of Major Sir John Prestige who moved into Bourne Park House during the 1920s, Robert lived in the house for some time according to my father, until he married my grandmother and moved into a smaller property in Bishopsbourne. I have some very hazy childhood memories of the property they moved into, which was still a large house but smaller than Bourne Park. They then downsized further and moved into a cottage in Bishopsbourne, which I have many happy memories of. My grandmother passed away a few years ago now, and Robert has moved on but still lives in the cottage in Bishopsbourne, my family still have close ties with him as he was such a big fixture for so long.

Last edited:

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
There were some reports many years ago but they got lost along with some other Kent bits. It's a cool little spot, worth seeing the other two tunnels along that line.

DuskyHawk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There were some reports many years ago but they got lost along with some other Kent bits. It's a cool little spot, worth seeing the other two tunnels along that line.
Which are the other two you're thinking of? We visited Hayne Tunnel near Sandling on the same trip, but didn't go more than a few steps in because of the deep mud, so I'd not thought it worth a report. Here's two pics.

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Etching hill and sandling are the others. Yeah sandling is flooded usually but the other is pretty cool

Who has read this thread (Total: 254) View details