real time web analytics
Report - - Brindley Tunnel - Wet Earth Colliery - April 2015 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brindley Tunnel - Wet Earth Colliery - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kenni

Derp Lover
28DL Full Member

Brindley Tunnel - April 2015

Explored with Dartian

Built in the 1740's by the renowned engineer
James Brindley, water from the Ringley Weir ran in to the tunnel and down an inverted u-shaped siphon which travelled 10 metres underneath the River Irwell, and on for almost 2km before it reached the waterwheel which powered the pumps for the colliery.

The original tunnel was 800 yards long but has since been reduced to around 300 yards with the building of the Ringley water-works above. The tunnel is driven through sandstone and is brick-lined in places, the shaft is currently flooded. Although only short, the tunnel is brimming with fantastic features and is an engineering masterpiece.

History and more information of the colliery can be found
here.

On with the pictures

DSC04723_zps5eib3doq.jpg

DSC04727_zps1l4zhb4f.jpg

DSC04730_zpsxgbqkrqm.jpg

DSC04731_zpslm7f2fay.jpg

The flooded shaft that leads under the Irwell

DSC04732_zpsexeuvg2n.jpg

DSC04734_zpsdfvxwjf1.jpg

DSC04735_zpskydrqwuh.jpg

DSC04736_zpsvhqnu8dt.jpg

DSC04737_zpsce1dpye4.jpg

DSC04738_zpsxi5hj7xw.jpg

DSC04739_zpss4f8vxp3.jpg

DSC04740_zpsngb4zbq1.jpg

DSC04741_zpsjjzawzgi.jpg

DSC04745_zpspw3qtocx.jpg

DSC04750_zpsnqmgwu1n.jpg

DSC04751_zpswesj8zig.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I'd heard this had been closed off recently, nice to see that's not the case! How dodgy is that brickwork above the downcast sump :)

dartian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes cj. It doesn'tgive you much confidence when you stick your head in. And the wooden prop doesn't look like its going to last much longer as well.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just saw this old report, and noticed the Martin Zero bloke has been in on FakeTube, which I try to avoid as it is now owned and run by lefty google, but I digress. As one needs a permit to work from the sign on the gate, and the gate is locked with a padlock, how the hell does one get in? As the land may belong to United Utlities, I cannot see them giving out permits, and unlocking the padlock to allow access (H & S reasons for one, liability definitely another), so it only leads me to one logical conclusion, but I hope I am wrong.

Can anyone PM if ok, or at least leave a short reply and I will PM you back.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Just saw this old report, and noticed the Martin Zero bloke has been in on FakeTube, which I try to avoid as it is now owned and run by lefty google, but I digress. As one needs a permit to work from the sign on the gate, and the gate is locked with a padlock, how the hell does one get in? As the land may belong to United Utlities, I cannot see them giving out permits, and unlocking the padlock to allow access (H & S reasons for one, liability definitely another), so it only leads me to one logical conclusion, but I hope I am wrong.

Can anyone PM if ok, or at least leave a short reply and I will PM you back.

theres loads of room on the right side and possibly over the top........or the lock may have been opened previously and has been placed to appear locked

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks, I know the rules about asking for access on here, and keeping sites non public and off the radar of anyone reading, but I reckon you are on the right track, noticed the gap on the right.