real time web analytics
Report - - Bristol Royal Infirmary Old Building, Bristol - Sept 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bristol Royal Infirmary Old Building, Bristol - Sept 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Following up from Sethyboi's report - for more history see here.

The BRI Old Building as it was known was built at early part of the 19th century and remained operational till 2016 when the North Bristol Health Trust sold it to Unite with the plan for Student Flats. One thing we don't have enough of in the middle of Bristol is Student Flats (sarcasm). We've been chipping away at working access to this place for several months over the summer - made harder with a bastard of an alarm install littered with PRIs and talking darleks on every corner of the place. Eventually alot of patience and continued perserverance meant we nailed it. It's taken a good 3-4 visits since then to try and cover it all. It's no epic but it certainly has its good parts:

From outside - a bit of a bastardised frontage with additions over the years

20.jpg

Inside given its use up to 2016 it's mostly modern but still retains the odd original or dated part. Not least the chapel which has since been given Grade 2* listed status meaning that Unites plans to demolish the lot are firmly up the shitter right now.

Late night Bristol:

1.jpg

Inside:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

To the Chapel:

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

The oldest parts of the building:

16.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

Last edited:

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Having scoped out most of the main block we were still curious to the outbulidings to the right of the chapel. We knew there was originally a mortuary on the site but the impressions we got was that we had missed it and it was a pile of rubble. Cue midweek excitement when walking into a corridor with signs about the mortuary.. and then finding a half demo'd but still rather impressive grand room with two stainless steel slabs and motorised body lift.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Returning one final time we desperately sought roof access, not just for the views but because that beauty of a old clock on the front of the building must have a mech behind it. We didn't know if it would be a modernised electric pile of shite. Thankfully it wasn't.

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Only one real thing was left to do. Could we get the thing working again? With a bit of faffing around we got the old mech swinging away and with little more than a small hatch we set the time to within a few minutes of actual. Sure it won't rock on forever but for now the time is right once again on the old 'BRI.

Big up to the Bristol Lads as per usual @Seffy @WhoDaresWins @END-PROC and also @Ojay @tallginge who've played a part in ths one. Whats next then...?

Last edited:

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Photos blow mine right out the water as usual mate! Good to have a fully compiled report featuring morgue and clock mech too. VPS really are useless ain't they LOL.

On to the next then? :D

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fuck knows how I missed this! Top work mate, that’s a beaut! Clock mechanism is lovely!

Gasman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Having scoped out most of the main block we were still curious to the outbulidings to the right of the chapel. We knew there was originally a mortuary on the site but the impressions we got was that we had missed it and it was a pile of rubble. Cue midweek excitement when walking into a corridor with signs about the mortuary.. and then finding a half demo'd but still rather impressive grand room with two stainless steel slabs and motorised body lift.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Returning one final time we desperately sought roof access, not just for the views but because that beauty of a old clock on the front of the building must have a mech behind it. We didn't know if it would be a modernised electric pile of shite. Thankfully it wasn't.

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Only one real thing was left to do. Could we get the thing working again? With a bit of faffing around we got the old mech swinging away and with little more than a small hatch we set the time to within a few minutes of actual. Sure it won't rock on forever but for now the time is right once again on the old 'BRI.

Big up to the Bristol Lads as per usual @Seffy @WhoDaresWins @END-PROC and also @Ojay @tallginge who've played a part in ths one. Whats next then...?
Hi. Just tried this one this morning and got inside but an alarm went off on the stairs. Is this a real one or dummy?

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I once visited the mortuary here in my old job, however I'm sure it was on the other side of the road to this building and half underground so maybe there's two?

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Is there more than one dalek? Could you pm me please?

I lost count of them - 6-7 maybe! 24 Pirs linked to each one. You can’t realit avoid them it’s just what happens.

I once visited the mortuary here in my old job, however I'm sure it was on the other side of the road to this building and half underground so maybe there's two?

There is a much bigger one on the other side. Can’t imagine this was anywhere near big enough for the whole hospital - tiny compared to frenchay - although it looked like it had upward of 50 fridges- guessing it may have been mostly used for chapel of rest rather than post mortem as the main chapel was also above this. Not really sure of the history.

Who has read this thread (Total: 446) View details