real time web analytics
Report - - Browns folly | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Browns folly

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Morosemthrfkr

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi guys, new member and first post.
Recently took a trip down to browns folly mine, was nice to see that it’s still accessible and very tidy down there with next to no litter.
This was my first visit here so spent a good 4 hours or so exploring and getting a good understanding of how to navigate my way around the whole place, managed to find a majority of the main interest points.
Would love to do box mine next but as I understand it most of the entrances have been fully sealed now, if someone could send me some info on a possible entrance it would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks and enjoy the photos!

IMG_4863.jpeg

IMG_4866.jpeg

IMG_4869.jpeg

IMG_4872.jpeg

IMG_4874.jpeg

IMG_4859.jpeg

IMG_4857.jpeg

IMG_4851.jpeg

IMG_4850.jpeg

IMG_4855.jpeg

IMG_4856.jpeg

Morosemthrfkr

28DL Member
28DL Member
Fair play looks like you had a good time . I would advise you buy yourselves some helmets . Lots more to see in there from your photos , box is completely sealed .
We don’t normally venture underground, but I agree that helmets are a good shout!
I only took a handful of photos due to only having my phone, will be going back with bigger lights and a DSLR to capture everything

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
We don’t normally venture underground, but I agree that helmets are a good shout!
I only took a handful of photos due to only having my phone, will be going back with bigger lights and a DSLR to capture everything
I assume you navigated from a survey ? You did well not to get lost if you’re a beginner. It’s always worth taking a compass . Lots to see if you do the crawling in sections .

Thanks for sharing

Morosemthrfkr

28DL Member
28DL Member
I assume you navigated from a survey ? You did well not to get lost if you’re a beginner. It’s always worth taking a compass . Lots to see if you do the crawling in sections .

Thanks for sharing
Aye went down with a survey map and a compass, and a pretty good sense of direction in general. Did struggle to find the crane remains to begin with but once I found them I realised that I’d been walking past them thinking that I’d already explored that tunnel

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
There's a reason it's free of litter... I dragged out 4 bin bags of crap out of the place just a couple weeks ago. As for the spray painting, it's getting worse, I tried to keep on top of it all at the start of the year but have now given up. Nobody needs to be painting arrows anywhere in that place, the survey is easily available and a compass can be bought from many places. Right... slow deep breaths, rant over

Morosemthrfkr

28DL Member
28DL Member
There's a reason it's free of litter... I dragged out 4 bin bags of crap out of the place just a couple weeks ago. As for the spray painting, it's getting worse, I tried to keep on top of it all at the start of the year but have now given up. Nobody needs to be painting arrows anywhere in that place, the survey is easily available and a compass can be bought from many places. Right... slow deep breaths, rant over
Well hats off to you mate, I was genuinely quite surprised at how tidy it was. Spray paint isn’t so bad, but heaps of litter is all round shite and unnecessary.

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No access to Box, Tunnel, Spring Quarry's at all!! Best bet for more Bathstone is Swan.

FYI: an underground stone extraction is still a QUARRY, it's only a MINE if you are taking coal, or, metalifous ores.

Pedant mode off.

Good first underground trip report there.

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
No access to Box, Tunnel, Spring Quarry's at all!! Best bet for more Bathstone is Swan.

FYI: an underground stone extraction is still a QUARRY, it's only a MINE if you are taking coal, or, metalifous ores.

Pedant mode off.

Good first underground trip report there.
Sorry, I can't restrain my inner pedantic nerd, please ignore me or put me on ignore or whatever...

The distinction (although nobody normal actually gives a **** 😂) is whether the material extracted is dressed/squared (or to be dressed/squared). The word quarry has the same latin root as quadrant or quarter or 4, hence dressed/squared. So slate and sandstone etc underground working are quarries. Non dressed material is a mine, some will point to "min" being an ancient Celtic word for ore. But just because it's stone not a metalliferous ore or coal (like sand or any stone that isn't dressed like fluorite or whatever) would still be a mine. That all said, I don't think it's worth getting bothered over. The origin/etymology of "mine" is disputed anyway. Road stone (e.g. shattered crushed rock) is usually called a quarry so we have inconsistencies unless you count crushing and grading as "dressing"?

Sometimes I might call somewhere a slate mine or a sandstone mine, even though it's "wrong", because others will understand what I meant.

Doozer

Probably underground somewhere
Regular User
You have every right to be annoyed about that mate, I’ve seen the effort being put into keeping the mine clean and free of graffiti

Who has read this thread (Total: 160) View details