real time web analytics
Report - - Bypass, Bradford - July 09 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bypass, Bradford - July 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I've been looking forward to checking out the 'Draining capital of the north', and haven't been disappointed! Headed up to Bradford and met up with toothdoctor. After the usual walk of strange looks we dropped down and made our way to Rainbow junction:

IMG_1103.jpg

We selected Bypass, a short water slide greeted us almost straight away and hinted this was going to be good. The box section soon opened up into a beast of a 12 ft RCP:

IMG_1009.jpg

At regular intervals along this were manhole shafts going up a long way:

IMG_1033.jpg

After a while the pipe shot up another longer water slide, looking back down it:

IMG_1043.jpg

At the top daylight shone in at a junction were we continued along some box section with very little flow, and upto pandora's.

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

The infamous slot, when peering though it a light could be seen, which was odd considering it was the only other light we had seen on in the whole system.

IMG_1081.jpg

Back down the other route lead to Pandora's chamber, the sewer the chamber serviced ran over head and a stoop was required to get to the ladder up. The chamber had everything, cameras, lights, old airhorn, nice! But the bitter twang of fresh could be tasted in every breath and visibility was not good!

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

Back down to the slide junction and into daylight:
IMG_1085.jpg

Getting over here was best not done in thigh waders, you can actually see the event horizon where the water flowed in!

IMG_1095.jpg

A side tunnel lead off to another processing chamber whilst the main route split into 2 box sections and carried on for a while.
IMG_1088.jpg

We turned back shortly after this point as nothing seemed to be going on and wanted to have a look downstream of rainbow junction, it was a long walk back, I checked with gps when in the open and we were on the other side of the city center than what we started, this system is seriously big.

Downstream macro:
IMG_1098-1.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

Bradford just keeps on giving, another sidepipe lead to a pretty nasty looking sump:
IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

What a place, the scale was epic and looking forward to checking out the rest of what the city has to offer. Cheers to toothdoctor, quality day! More here

toothdoctor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one CJ! Here's my contribution:

Bradford. Draining capital of the north, allegedly.

No fucking kidding.

The day was set, and on a day of (thankfully) perfect weather me and ConcreteJungle met in the heart of Bradford. Fences hopped, rockdeath avoided and we arrived at the unassuming entrance to Bypass.

3712750899_b9054fd3d8.jpg

This place is unreal, easily the largest drain I have been in. Just a mass of concrete buried 30m below the surface.

It was slightly unnerving, knowing that this place was built this big for a reason. First up: the huge chamber

3712780123_5614190900_b.jpg

Distortion to the max

Following this, every now and then a side passage would appear with another multi level chamber

3712779725_0835a3a6af.jpg

Eventually the reason for the faint roar in the distance was revealed

3712752619_3db3ba30de.jpg

and above the slide

3712749717_08ac2aaec5.jpg

Superposery

Next up: Pandora's various boxes

Shortly after entering, we hit the junction and busted out the "classic" shot

3712751807_43ac14ea2b.jpg

Onwards, to Pandora's box! A stoop is followed by a few ladders to choose from- fortunately we chose a pretty clean one. When looking around, I went down one covered in ladytowels, ramjags and who knows what else. Lovely.

It was pretty misty when we got up there, something resembling one of Manchester's fine night time establishments....

3713560508_6b8ae6ca95.jpg

This just doesn't show what is going on - the upper platforms overlook a sewer which was flowing very very fast, it is roughly 5m down with no way up except for rope/ladder action. An impressive place. CCTV is mad though, it has to be said.

On the way out a short visit was paid to the "slot" of legend. To those that have penetrated it, give yourselves a pat on the back. We were a bit confused by the light that could be seen after peering through the slot.

3712923711_f2ec310e64.jpg

Finally, one of the pipe.

3712753429_3377a62e29.jpg

Next up: Macro!

Macro is a beast, what we shot here represents only the small section we did. Crossing over the first section, I managed without wader breach. ON the return journey I suffered catastrophic wader breach. Fail.

3712781595_64626bd5e1.jpg

The pipe on the right lead to some mad concrete construction similar to Pandora's chamber. Probably part of the same sewer, again, the flows were rapid

At the lower end, even more surprises turned up. A double barreled entrance opened up inside to 3 channels, each one 3m across.
3713560078_2384bbe942.jpg

CJ in one of the channels

Then, CJ's eagle eyes spotted some brickwork that warranted further investigation
3712748829_89cbde1472.jpg

This lead to a concrete "sump" chamber that I have seen in a couple of pictures before. It is a scary place. Amazing reflections in the perfectly still water, though...

3712923707_bc934b2282.jpg

Shortly after this, further travel revealed the outfall and we decided our day had come to an end. A trek back to the cars and with an emptying of the waders, we were off home. Bradford, what a place. Definitely will be going back to see the rest of Macro sometime. Cheers, CJ was great fun!

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah flooding isn't the best, luckely I was in chesties so so ok, even they have a leak though.

The drop chambers were class, never seen anything that big in a drain before, the other one was up near Pandora if I recall. This my pic of the first one, a fisheye would make things so much easier!

merged.jpg

toothdoctor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Mint report and epic pictures. Those shots of Pandora's chamber are mega, never seen it so misty like that before! Yeah, it's a bit of a confusing system, but nice to see the GPT is (semi) traversable. Get back to the rest of Macro and do The Academy to collect the whole set :D

Cheers dude! It was indeed nuts in Pandora's Chamber. Even bypass was misty as fuck by the time we got back down it.

3714062173_53d1ee7580.jpg

Definitely have Academy and the rest of Macro on the list.....does that complete the set without donning some cut up bin liners though? ;)

siologen

I Go Where The Drains Are
Regular User
Lol, Snappel and I were there just the weekend before last. You can avoid wader breach by climbing up out of the infall pit into a yard surrounded by warehouses. Then its over a 12ft high monarch to get a look at the 1988 dedication plaque for when the tunnel opened for business.