real time web analytics
Report - - Bypass, Bradford, May 2022 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bypass, Bradford, May 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Teaming up with Nuboid again , We decided to have a look at bradford our first visit up there , now we had both been looking on maps at this ( me at the infall and nuboid at the outflow ) but with him having done a reccy up there and finding a way in we started downstream we parked up near canal road and dropped in to the culvert with the aid of a bit of rope quite away downstream . The culvert floor was a U shaped channel with quite a flow in the middle considering how dry its been of late so we kept to the edges were it was also very slippery underfoot with us both going over , me going down quite hard breaking my head torch and bending the tripod ( i felt that next morning i tell thee ) after a fair walk we reached the start point

phone pic as we haddnt got kitted up yet, then in to the culvert had a spot of bother getting the camera to work and at first i thought that might be another casualty of me falling on my rucksack earlier but after replacing the battery and finally inserting it correctly we were up and running . Phew !!!

no stooping here the twin arches linked up to twin concrete box sections just after the curve lovely brickwork

coming back in to the daylight it was the start of the old stone arch section

we started of in the middle tunnel but then moved out in to the one on the right as the flow was less and it was easier to navigate

all 3 tunnels were interlinked with small access openings , after a while in the right hand tunnel we came across an opening

6 foot tall brick pipe both openings linked together

very misty in here with lots of calcite build up after a time we arrived at the end

concrete CSO back out in to the main tunnel

looking down the 2nd pipe out of the mist , there were lots of small inlets and tunnels on this explore but we stayed on the main track as its a long way and we had tp make progress

the right hand tunnel was blocked of here so back in to the middle tunnel

end in sight then looking back on were we had been

then looking forward

2 options here we kept right

mrs duck and her chicks who unwillingly got caught up in our explore they ran away from us all the way to the big ramp but they were unharmed and made there way back out

nuboid on the incline section

start of the round tunnel section given how deep we were underground this must have been done with a tunnel boring machine the big chamber further evidence of that , very easy underfoot it was just as well as this is a very long section , Nuboid clocked up over 15000 steps on the explore so it was deffo my longest explore to date

main chamber

up the steps

looking back down the pipe then looking up

wow biggest manhole ive ever seen ! walking on upstream there were about 4 of these smaller manholes branching of

up a few steps to the bottom of each one then looking upwards

5 level manhole must have been about 30m underground !

after a long time with us both wondering how much further the culvert went ! A change in styles happened with these concrete kerbs just before the start of the main ramp

it was at this point we finally managed to get past the ducks ! Up the ramp on the dry sections was no problem but we had to crawl out at the top

top of ramp then looking back down it , yes it was that steep !

another big manhole chamber

twin box section going forward in to the day light there was also a spur off to the left which we diddnt have time to investigate

outside in to the daylight we were between preston street and thornton road

only a very short section out in the open air looking downstream, continued

Last edited:

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
looking forward now there was a 3 way split 2 tunnels straight forward and one at a right angle the smell of fresh let us know what it was lol

there was a concreted walkway on 3 sides of this the largest poo room i have ever seen

next pic inside the live sewer drain was roaring away like a lion ! lol

back out now and moving on back upstream we went up the right hand tunnel

again it was a long way the only feature being this bendy section progress was swift as it was

very clean or maybe not a f*****n tree ! completely blocking our way had to snap some of the branches of to get past it !

sorry about the blurry pick snagging the tripod in the tree finally finished it off !

daylight ahead ! thank god to be honest it had been a long way , a pipe coming in on the right in this old stone arch section

outside what smelt like a CSO then looking back downstream

then looking forward

up these 2 waterfalls and exited to the left eventually on to the road ( princeville street ) lady luck shone on us here as we managed to stumble across an old ladder in the old stone arch section and used that to get up the waterfalls and out , Well a cracking explore my favourite to date thanks for viewing :thumb

Last edited:

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Bradford has an awesome system!

IIRC the left bend at the junction after the 3 parallel tunnels become 2 leads down to Macro (or alternatively from Forster Square) which links up with Academy too.

The massive processor room is the sewer at the bottom of Pandoras Box, the top of which is off the 'twin box' section in your daylight pic of the two grilles.

The big grille at the infall is part of the Western Sewer.

P.S Ask @NuBoid to show you our access in to Gigatron next :turd

Last edited:

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Bradford has an awesome system!

IIRC the left bend at the junction after the 3 parallel tunnels become 2 leads down to Macro (or alternatively from Forster Square) which links up with Academy too.

The massive processor room is the sewer at the bottom of Pandoras Box, the top of which is off the 'twin box' section in your daylight pic of the two grilles.

The big grille at the infall is part of the Western Sewer.

P.S Ask @NuBoid to show you our access in to Gigatron next :turd
Cheers Eric Will do

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
hey jezzyboo
was a good day out that
loads more of Bradford to see ...........guessing we will be back for more soon
great write up and pics btw
I'll dig the pics out from our little jaunt down Gigatron with @Esoteric Eric and @tallginge ...............now that was one the dirtiest filth'oles I've ever mooched ha ha...:turd
didnt get many pics of our entry as it was arduous task getting in so the cam was still in the bag....had to 'duck' a weir which was half closed with a full flow in the invert....lovely bit of splashback to the face..... haha
dont forget the gloves next time Eric ;)

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Nice one, good to see some of Bradford's drainage again. :thumb
There really is some impressive stuff below this city.
Made me feel quite nostaligic looking at your pics, it's been years since I saw all that and have forgotten quite a bit of what's down there.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I love this. I have great admiration for the build. The different brickworks, concrete, curves, very impressive system this.
Really like the old stone arch section.
Sounds like you did well to stay on your feet, apart from that mishap. Hope you have recovered now. Smashing your head torch and bending your tripod sounds quite the fall. I wouldn't want to explain that at AnE lol. I love that we all have a little crazy/ adventurous side in us lol. :thumb

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I love this. I have great admiration for the build. The different brickworks, concrete, curves, very impressive system this.
Really like the old stone arch section.
Sounds like you did well to stay on your feet, apart from that mishap. Hope you have recovered now. Smashing your head torch and bending your tripod sounds quite the fall. I wouldn't want to explain that at AnE lol. I love that we all have a little crazy/ adventurous side in us lol. :thumb
Ha ha yes went down like id been hit by tyson fury managed to mend the head torch with superglue but the tripod is in the recycle bin lol its nice that we all share that crazy streak makes life fun :<3

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tell ya what @jezzyboo ...thinking about it, that's a nice little CSO we stumbled across there................
Big 'incoming fresh' from an RCP, then into square mouth, then dropping into a guided invert channel, twin left and right screened 'carpet munchers' and then down a steep gradient and under the left overflow channel, which then dilly dallys round the corner to meet the other overflow channel from the right ...........and into the beck......nice setup YW !!!!!!!!

If the wife ever kicks me out on the streets, I'm thinking this will be my next temporary accommodation !!!!..... ha ha :lol

Anybody got any detailed pics of this place ??

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Tell ya what @jezzyboo ...thinking about it, that's a nice little CSO we stumbled across there................
Big 'incoming fresh' from an RCP, then into square mouth, then dropping into a guided invert channel, twin left and right screened 'carpet munchers' and then down a steep gradient and under the left overflow channel, which then dilly dallys round the corner to meet the other overflow channel from the right ...........and into the beck......nice setup YW !!!!!!!!

If the wife ever kicks me out on the streets, I'm thinking this will be my next temporary accommodation !!!!..... ha ha :lol

Anybody got any detailed pics of this place ??

Probably just the same pics as you boys there as I didn't make it to the upper bit at the time (excuse to go back), but there are other reports on here.

Bypass/ Macro

Academy

Some shonky photography back in 2017, another excuse to go back!

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Probably just the same pics as you boys there as I didn't make it to the upper bit at the time (excuse to go back), but there are other reports on here.

Bypass/ Macro

Academy

Some shonky photography back in 2017, another excuse to go back!
some good reports there Eric :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 182) View details