real time web analytics
Report - - Cane Hill Asylum – Coulsdon – Oct 2015 - a bit of history.... | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cane Hill Asylum – Coulsdon – Oct 2015 - a bit of history....

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member
Most of Cane Hill Asylum is long gone, yet myself and @slayaaaa decided whilst in that neck of the woods we would have a look at what was left. Sadly not a lot is left, as I’m sure you know. All that appears to be left is the Admin building, the water tower and the chapel. Along with a load of plant machinery and a very angry dog.

Most people know the history of Cane Hill but this report goes a little beyond that. Whilst we were having a quiet afternoon stroll around the place we ventured into the admin building and found a piece of history of our own.

Now when I say “our” own I mean explorers. What we found was a section of wall in the basement sign by the many explorers that had been there before us, our peers if you like.

Names we knew, names we had heard and names we looked up too. We felt it a shame that this would one day be lost as it’s as great a part of exploring history as some of the buildings we explore.

That’s it from me, please enjoy the pictures and see who you recognise on the “Cane Hill wall of fame”

DSC_1679_zpsz5nkeihs.jpg

DSC_1673_zps8ol4xs4u.jpg

DSC_1671_zpskpdzryc3.jpg

DSC_1661_zpsbm93srnn.jpg

DSC_1656_zpsis5hcvgm.jpg

DSC_1654_zpsoczcb1k7.jpg

DSC_1649_zps04j0o87p.jpg

DSC_1646_zpsmk5rscqd.jpg

DSC_1638_zpsf4euh4un.jpg

DSC_1636_zpsjvyyegvh.jpg

DSC_1632_zpsr98ynsxd.jpg

DSC_1629_zpswwi9p3fk.jpg

DSC_1622_zps1hmqep4r.jpg

DSC_1613_zpsmn0lajnf.jpg

DSC_1609_zpsnovzn7u1.jpg

DSC_1607_zpsdrou2ntw.jpg [/URL
]

tags%201_zpsukeznjgv.jpg

tags%207_zpslpyc9crb.jpg

tags%206_zpsf4mnwmut.jpg

tags%205_zpszad3b2ci.jpg

tags%204_zpsygrjunqp.jpg

tags%203_zpsrhisygaj.jpg

tags%202_zpsli0gltyr.jpg

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Haha Ridds overload. Think the last time I was in the basement was with him sometime late in 2008 when bonfires were raging outside as squibs cleared the site. There was a room in admin filled to the brim with leftover stuff including plans and sets of keys for each ward with engraved tags of the ward name.

Nice to see admin open, it's been a while. Would love to see one last shot of the chapel.

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Had a look here myself recently, the modern Medium Secure Unit that is just to the south is also being worked on - being turned into horse livery stables. Think I missed the party on all things Cane Hill related :-(

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I think there is a building in the next field that was the original farm stables or something like that. I suppose you do get a lot of horse riders going along the footpaths.

Anything happening to the original cottage hospital which is the tiny building next to the secure unit? Always imagined it being rammed full of tat..

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Anything happening to the original cottage hospital which is the tiny building next to the secure unit? Always imagined it being rammed full of tat..

Still standing and I did notice not very well boarded up, but within the construction compound of the secure unit with loads of workers around so I couldn't look in.