real time web analytics
Report - - 'Carbodies' aka. The London Taxi Company - Coventry - March 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 'Carbodies' aka. The London Taxi Company - Coventry - March 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
So this was a bit of a let down. (Bit shit in fact) None the less i think some of you may have had a look at it before or had it on the radar so heres a few photos for reference anyway.

Kind of missed the initial closure, I knew they were relocating across Coventry but didn't really know the time frame. Then we forgot about it for a while, then one day 6 months or so ago we remembered it and went for a recce. It wasn't particularly accessible back then but i found time for a another look a couple of weeks ago and suddenly it was! Long and short of it is i found my way in after seeing it had a new security guy, explored half of it until i got to the point where i couldn't see anymore without risking getting seen by said guard. Then got seen by the guard but the guard was actually sound and let me carry on poking about. Just annoying there wasn't really anything left to see! Its mainly one big open shop floor with the remains of some paint booths and some very smashed offices. Bah!

For those of you that dont know the company started off life as 'Carbodies'. They built low volume specials like convertibles and estates for the likes of Austin and Rootes. Their most famous product was the London Taxi and after going through the ownership of BSA and the infamous Magnese Bronze group they were eventually re-branded as 'London Taxi International' in the early 90s. LTI lasted in Magnese's ownership until 2012 when it was bought by CHINESE manufacturer 'Geeley'. The factory has now been relocated elsewhere in Coventry and this will all be houses soon. Demolition due to start in 2 weeks.