real time web analytics
Report - - Castlebridge Colliery, Clackmannanshire, half-destroyed, Nov. 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Castlebridge Colliery, Clackmannanshire, half-destroyed, Nov. 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

kaptinkeiff

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all, this is my first report so do excuse how poor it is. It's also not going to be too long, as you'll see!

So I'd looked up Castlebridge Coilliery before, and seen some great pictures - it looked positively abandoned, and like a good explore! So I headed to it today, about an hour drive.

Upon passing it, it was immediately clear that it was being demolished, and that it was at least semi-active, as the small amount of snow at the entrance gate was well-driven on.

I parked in a layby slightly further up from the plant, at its north east corner. There was a rather easy method to get in, someone had pulled the plastic fence down beside a large tire, and one only needed to jump onto the tire, and hop over the fence. (No photo, sorry).

It then became immediately apparent the extent of the demolition, it was nearly complete - only the main tower remained fairly intact. Everything else had been torn down.
Castlebridge (1 of 8).jpg

I walked about a bit, and spotted security activity on the other corner of the plant, so did not stray too far from this corner.

Castlebridge (8 of 8).jpg

There were old tanks which had clearly been attacked by what appears to have been a digger.

Castlebridge (6 of 8).jpg

Inside the tank:

DSC_4667.JPG

The only standing building was at best only slightly standing, as it appeared to only have about a quarter of its original size after the demolition thus far.
DSC_4647.JPG

Everything else had been reduced to rubble.
DSC_4692.JPG

DSC_4650.JPG

Some bizarre bits and bobs were laying around

DSC_4642.JPG

Out of focus, sorry

DSC_4640.JPG

The only portion left standing and (structurally) somewhat intact

DSC_4638.JPG

I did not enter it, because I'd seen in other reports that there were plenty of automatic detection systems...no thanks, given security were literally just around the corner!

Inside one of the concrete portions holding the tall building up:

DSC_4695.JPG

It was at this point that I saw this security guard walking towards me, looking at me and then on his phone...this was my cue that I'd outstayed my welcome!

walking....PNG

Hence, I hightailed it out of there, hopped in my car and left before anything worse happened!

Hope you enjoy my first report, a bit sad for the Colliery though!

- K

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's a shame to see - those buildings were full of bits and pieces and maps and plans to trawl through. Looks like the winding tower's been prepped for demo by explosives...

kaptinkeiff

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So I'd seen on other reports! Very sad :(

Ah, that'd make sense! I did wonder why it was still standing.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Shame. Was a good explore in its day. Not that many people actually bothered... Same with most coal stuff tho i guess and now it's nearly all gone..

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Shame. Was a good explore in its day. Not that many people actually bothered... Same with most coal stuff tho i guess and now it's nearly all gone..

Very true mind i made the effort using public transport from north east england lots of train journeys plus a bus and a bloody long walk well worth it though. Yes a great shame these places are disappearing.

kaptinkeiff

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Admittedly I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. Places like this are disappearing, and won't be being created to the same extent in the 21st century that they used to be. Sad, for us!

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh wow! Any idea what time?! ;) Not sure how you know, but damn...

No idea, these things are normally kept quite quiet... demo teams don’t like audiences!

Shame, it was unique in terms of construction and a cracking rooftop to boot

kaptinkeiff

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Precisely why I'm rather surprised you know, but I shan't inquire further...;)

I was really hoping for a view from the rooftop! It seemed to have quite a good prominence :(

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Precisely why I'm rather surprised you know, but I shan't inquire further...;)

I was really hoping for a view from the rooftop! It seemed to have quite a good prominence :(

I’m quite surprised somebody is going to the trouble and expense of bringing it down to be honest - this report was the first I’d even heard about it. Last time I made the effort to watch a blow down though I spent four hours waiting then wasn’t looking when it happened. I’ll wait for a video to appear this time!

kaptinkeiff

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’m quite surprised somebody is going to the trouble and expense of bringing it down to be honest - this report was the first I’d even heard about it. Last time I made the effort to watch a blow down though I spent four hours waiting then wasn’t looking when it happened. I’ll wait for a video to appear this time!

It must have been very recent - there was a sign on the road stating that there'd be roadworks there from the 30/11/17. I assume for taking the debris away.

AnonyMouse

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like I made it just in time then (see my report from April 2017). It's a huge shame.