Report - - Castleton ROC Post Restoration | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Castleton ROC Post Restoration


28DL Regular User
Regular User
After finishing Chop Gate ROC Post, we thought the time has come to do another one :)

Castleton opened in April 1959 and closed in 1991. It is very trashed and was flooded.

The post in 2000

And now...




The post is trashed beyond belief. The hatch is ripped off and flooded.

April 2012 saw the start of the restoration.

The post was pumped out of the water. All the broken glass and rubbish was swept up and all the old paving slabs and concrete chunkes laying around in the compound were removed. The post is now dry and free of rubbish. We will be going up soon to re-weld the hatch back onto the frame and the counterweight and clean all the exterior concrete work.



Most of the water has gone by now!



A shot of mid-sweep up


Finally, hatch brought up from the shaft and put on top. Padlocked to keep people out although more security will be added in due course.

Being done here and not having a welder, we went over to Chop Gate and did some work there getting it ready for the summer.

TODAY: 06/05/2012

Well we did a lot of work at the post today:

The post was painted externally and all the metalwork primed. The hatch which was detatched was welded back on, new hasps and hinges put on and the tbar freed up. All the broken slats on the fence were replaced and measurments taken for a gate.

Inside the pump was primed and put back on. Nothing else inside. Will be going up soon to re-do all the woodwork inside and start painting it.








Enjoy :)

Similar threads