real time web analytics
Report - - Chadderton Mill Air Raid Shelters - May 2011. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chadderton Mill Air Raid Shelters - May 2011.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Chadderton Mill Air Raid Shelters

1.jpg

Built in 1885 and designed by P S Stott, the Chadderton Mill has the unique claim to fame of being the last survivor of the town's once-sizable cotton industry

Sadly, this mill was to spin its last cotton on 22nd June 2000, thus bringing to an end an era which had lasted for two and a quarter centuries

It is also one of a few mills that retain a lodge and WW2 shelters

The lodge is still used by an angling society, thats right Greater Manchester Police no less!

1a.jpg

Now then I decided to take a mooch one sunny morning, on arrival all seemed well until I stumbled on some coppers fishing in your lodges :D

There was no way of attempting the mill today, or any day it seems as I have been a couple of times since and there always seems to be activity, oh and the place is alarmed up as well

Luckily I knew there were some remnants of WW2 shelters on-site (previously visited by Host), so I quickly disappeared inside one of the several holes that wasn't sealed to avoid being seen

I managed to snoop about for a good half hour in and out of the remains before I was spotted and bailed

There isn't much left to see here to be fair, as the usual neighbourhood chavs have managed to trash the place and fill them with all manner of jumble

None the less it passed some time on the way to another site I have had my eye on for some time now

3.jpg

2a.jpg

2.jpg

Above ground can be found the external remnants of the shelters

4.jpg

5.jpg

Internals

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg