real time web analytics
Report - - Château de Leuhan - Brittany, France - October 2019 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Château de Leuhan - Brittany, France - October 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Giymo85

Amateur and proud
28DL Full Member
Recently having mentioned an encounter with an angry local on another thread, I realised I hadn't put this up. Hope somebody finds it interesting.

The History

This impressive building was constructed between 1882 and 1884 after being commissioned by a wealthy local couple. They didn't just plan the building but also sculpted the surrounding estate, encompassing woodlands and a river. Much of this remains to this day and the building is set within truly beautiful grounds.

Archive picture of the buiding as seen from the driveway approach

More recent picture, still in happier times.

I've struggled to find much recent information. I'm sure it's out there but not being great with French iI'll leave it for now.

The explore

So, first off I must confess to an idiotic decision on this one. As it was raining I decided to park my red SUV on UK plates right outside the gates to the property. This isn't how I usually operate and may be why it ended the way it did. That out of the way...

It was a miserable, rainy day and I had already failed on my first location of the day. Arriving here I quickly spotted a route into the grounds and made my way towards the house. With rain falling i grabbed a couple of phone pictures from the front then went looking for a way inside. Even though this place isn't exactly near an urban area, it has still been fairly ransacked but fortunately there are still some nice touches intact. After taking in the interior and realising that the rain had stopped I made my way outside to get some more external photos.

Unfortunately, this is where it got a tad complicated. After taking the ony exterior shot I am happy with, I realised I could hear footsteps coming through the trees. I scrambled to pack my gear but within seconds a man appeared just feet away. I couldn't decide on whether to stare at the massive dog he was holding on to or the over/under shotgun nestled in the crook if his arm, neither looked great at the time. He shouted at me in French but when I could only reply in English he actually calmed down. Somehow I was able to convey the fact I had travelled just to see the place with my own eyes and that I meant no harm, he was satisfied by this and actually saw me off the property with a wave.

All is well that ends well, I suppose. Anyways, onto some pictures...

My view as I emerged from the trees in the rain. Just a phone shot as I was trying to keep my camera dry.

Around to the back and there is clear evidence of damage but also some lovely architectural detail.

This guy greets you at the foot of the steps. One of the many statues around the building. I wish I had more time outside to do these justice but a poor phone picture will have to do.

The veranda would once have been stunning, now it is mildly trashed. With entry this simple inside has to be a mess...

Heading inside you see that the place has suffered but not to the degree I suspect it would in the UK.

Respectful vandalism. We will remove the window but leave it mostly intact.

The floor is still mostly intact and is certainly something special.

And there is more tiling throughout the entrance hall leading to the stairs.

The metalwork on the banister is fabulous.

Upstairs is mostly just empty rooms.

But there are still some nice elements. This bed was as solid as anything.

And some more lovely stained glass.

It was at this point that I realised the rain had stopped and headed outside, with the rest as I've already explained.

Enter man with dog/gun. Exit me.

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Wow that's a beauty. What a stunning design and lovely features. Not much damage at all. Glad it turned out ok. Enjoyed this :thumb

Giymo85

Amateur and proud
28DL Full Member
@westernsultan Thank you chapter's! That's actually where I grabbed what little history I have. The big I've struggled with is what has happened to end up with the building looking like this and when it became unoccupied.

@Jane Doe Thank you, I loved it!

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
@westernsultan Thank you chapter's! That's actually where I grabbed what little history I have. The big I've struggled with is what has happened to end up with the building looking like this and when it became unoccupied.

Best I can offer you is that the details in my second link were created in 2004 at which time it was listed as private property with no public access.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thought I'd commented on this but may of been elsewhere, cracking bit of architecture there, love it. Thanks for sharing

DriftkingGT

28DL Member
28DL Member

The white Discovery 4 in the picture wasn't released until 2009 so it hasn't been empty for that long.
It's a beautiful building and a shame to see it not used!

Who has read this thread (Total: 193) View details