real time web analytics
Question - - Chimney climb Kent | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Chimney climb Kent

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

f3l1x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Has anyone ever seen anyone or thought about climbing these chimneys in the Sandwich business park, from what I can see from cycling past and google earth it looks well secured and without a doubt would have security but the chimneys themselves look very doable you can see the ladders on the outsides of some of them, but was just wondering if these are first of all doable to climb if anyone's done them and secondly are they safe to climb?

1705006164924.png

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
That fence look’s pretty easy to get over, have you not thought about giving them a go?

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
This is a biomass power plant by the looks of things, not much is impossible in this hobby but one has got to bear in mind that the authorities presiding over an operational industrial site are going to be a different kind of unimpressed catching gallivanters on the wrong side of the fence than a regular abandoned building etc.

f3l1x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That fence look’s pretty easy to get over, have you not thought about giving them a go?
Yeah, been scouting it out that’s the entry to the actual chimney and even that looks easy only issue I see is security

5D82CEB6-4BAF-407E-9D5A-4BD6DF07BEBE.png

f3l1x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is a biomass power plant by the looks of things, not much is impossible in this hobby but one has got to bear in mind that the authorities presiding over an operational industrial site are going to be a different kind of unimpressed catching gallivanters on the wrong side of the fence than a regular abandoned building etc.
True but there isnt much they can do other than kick you out or is it different with powerstations I know nuclear power stations it’s different but I’m assuming this you would just get kicked out

f3l1x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You don't just get kicked out. I found out the hard way.
Different live power station, but same kind of thing. Special Branch investigation, blaa blaa. Wasn't pleasant.
I see I mean the options really are don’t get caught or don’t do it what does all that investigation stuff intail does it get sent somewhere, can you get a fine, is it reported to the police?

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Special Beach is the counter terrorism division of the police. They can hold you on suspicion of terrorism anywhere, but especially when the site is national infrastructure. No charges were brought against me in the end, but it's not a process you want to go through.

I mean the options really are don’t get caught or don’t do it
Or do it somewhere else. It's up to you, but weigh up the risk to reward factor. In my case, I wanted to see the really old turbines which are few and far between, but there are plenty of more suitable chimneys to climb which would offer the same reward.

f3l1x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Special Beach is the counter terrorism division of the police. They can hold you on suspicion of terrorism anywhere, but especially when the site is national infrastructure. No charges were brought against me in the end, but it's not a process you want to go through.

Or do it somewhere else. It's up to you, but weigh up the risk to reward factor. In my case, I wanted to see the really old turbines which are few and far between, but there are plenty of more suitable chimneys to climb which would offer the same reward.
True yeah thanks for the advice definitely want to avoid a situation like that at all costs think I will be looking for other chimneys/towers to climb unfortunately the only one I’ve seen on 28dayslater near me I’ve already climbed so you wouldn’t happen to know another way of finding chimneys? Best way I’ve found is by using 3d mode on google earth but I’m sure theres something more efficient

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Look for news articles about any industrial sites that have closed. Closed sites would definitely be the safer option in terms of consequences, and the chimney is usually one of the last structures to be demolished. There may be some live ones that would be doable if that's what you want, but power and chemical plants will be hot with security and both carry similar risk.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Ffs this is properly live and to the best of my knowledge still used for the incineration of waste pharmaceutical products. Those chims are often running. You should worry about the hazardous shit you'd inhale and the heat given off from them rather than security. Common sense should tell you it's a stupid idea. Also you'll get no view other than over the science park so what is the point?
I'd recommend speaking to come locals about the state of play here. Not a forum of people who have mostly never even been to or heard of sandwich in kent.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Sounds like a very quick way to either contract a debilitating disease from whatever they're burning in there (why do you think chimneys are tall?) or a very quick way to have a very bad time with the boys in blue.

If you have seasoned explorers like Andy or Obscurity telling you to leave well alone, I'd probably listen to them.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Ffs this is properly live and to the best of my knowledge still used for the incineration of waste pharmaceutical products. Those chims are often running. You should worry about the hazardous shit you'd inhale and the heat given off from them rather than security. Common sense should tell you it's a stupid idea. Also you'll get no view other than over the science park so what is the point?
I'd recommend speaking to come locals about the state of play here. Not a forum of people who have mostly never even been to or heard of sandwich in kent.

or a cheap way to get high?

Who has read this thread (Total: 187) View details