real time web analytics
Report - - Church of St Cyprian, Liverpool - March 2011. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Church of St Cyprian, Liverpool - March 2011.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Church of St Cyprian, Liverpool.

Visited this one a while back with Host & Oldskool before everyman and his dog paid homage :rolleyes:

Designed by Culshaw & Summers in 1881, this landmark Liverpool church has suffered at the hands of the scousers since 2007 when it was last used as a local youth club

Featuring some of the best graffiti that even Banksy would aspire to and enough pidgeon poop & peeling paint to satisfy the Amateur Thrillseekers
:rolleyes:

1a.jpg

Some intalect from English Heritage......

Church. 1879-81. H. Sumners. Roof reconstructed 1896-8, Willink and Thicknesse

Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 6-bay nave with passage aisles, West tower, 3-bay transeptal extension to East end of North aisle, chancel with rectangular apse, and vestries to East and North

Free Gothic style. Tower has angle buttresses and pinnacles. Gabled west entrance with round arch and 2 straight-headed doors with traceried tympanum

3-light window above has pierced parapet. 4-face clock and paired segmental-pointed bell openings. Embattled parapet with gargoyles

Lean-to bay to right, round ended bay to left. Aisles are windowless, with gabled buttresses. Clerestory has cross-gables and 3-light segmental-headed windows with low transom

Transeptal extension has 3 rose windows. Chancel has gabled North organ loft, apse has rose window

Interior has arcades with good free Romanesque capitals, probably c.1898.

Looking towards the Alter, the scaffolding blocking the main detail...

2a.jpg

...behind the scaffolding there is some decent detailing of the alter

3a.jpg

4a.jpg
5a.jpg

We found some old Hymm books & bibles

6a.jpg

Stained glass window behind the alter

7a.jpg

Pews

8a.jpg

Organ donor

9a.jpg

Pulpit detail

10a.jpg

11a.jpg

Next up I decided to check out the clock tower, which with hindsight wasn't such a good idea, as the ladders came away from the masonry as I got halfway up and the timbers were rotten and just about supported the weight of my camera & tripod - (Found out the hard way after my good foot disappered) :D

12a.jpg

Initial ladder up

13a.jpg

Clock mechanism

14a.jpg

'The bells'

15a.jpg

Hallelujah

16a.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details