real time web analytics
Report - - Church of St Raphael the Archangel - Millbrook - May 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Church of St Raphael the Archangel - Millbrook - May 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Church of St Raphael the Archangel - Millbrook

Summary of Building

Roman Catholic church. 1961-3 by Edward J Massey of architects' practice Massey and Massey of Warrington. Dalle de verre stained glass by Pierre Fourmaintraux of Powells (Whitefriars Studios). Stations of the Cross and water stoops by Alan Boyson. Central pendant light fitting by McGloughlin of Dublin.

1.jpg

History

The Millbrook parish was formed in 1958 from the neighbouring parish of Stalybridge; the first Mass in Millbrook had been held in 1946 in the canteen of Staley Mill. The Bishop of Shrewsbury, the Right Reverend John A Murphy (later Archbishop of Cardiff) commissioned the architect Edward J Massey of Massey and Massey, Warrington, to design the Church of St Raphael in 1960; the foundation stone was laid in 1961 and the Church was officially opened on 25th April 1963. During the commissioning process, the Bishop stipulated that the High Altar should be such that, if the Liturgy required it, Mass could be celebrated facing the congregation. An article was published in the Catholic Building Review, northern edition, in 1960 in which the architects' practice stated that ' The Church is in the new manner whereby Mass may be said from both sides of the Altar and the Congregation is grouped about the Sanctuary on three sides'. The bringing forward of the altar and move away from longitudinal planning was encouraged by the Liturgical Movement, which favoured the closer involvement of the faithful in the Mass, and is one of the first espousals of this approach in the Roman Catholic church in England; it may also be seen in the centralized arrangement at Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, designed by Frederick Gibberd for a competition held in 1959, and built in 1962-7. Such planning predates the Vatican II Constitution on Sacred Liturgy which was approved in 1963, the same year that St Raphael's opened.

The Roman Catholic Church of St Raphael the Archangel, Millbrook, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: Historic Interest: the internal planning of St Raphael the Archangel focuses upon an island altar, and whilst not having the fully developed centralised arrangement advocated by the Liturgical Movement, it clearly demonstrates a transitional period in the planning of Catholic churches, being a precursor of Vatican II (1962-5), after which such schemes were officially embraced. Architectural Interest: the church references Byzantine motifs, particularly the large crossing dome and the mosaic-like appearance of the prominent dalle de verre screen, in a bold modern design of geometric blockiness and stepped massing culminating in the dominant circular dome Intactness: the church retains its original character to a high degree, being largely intact and architecturally unaltered, and retaining the majority of its high-quality contemporary fixtures and fittings Artistic Interest: the church is a showcase for contemporary arts and crafts, being embellished with Pierre Fourmaintraux's extensive figurative dalle de verre screen of Tobias and the Archangel whose brilliant colours and organic forms epitomise good 1960s ecclesiastical glass design and dramatically enrich the interior space, which is also imbued with a full set of bespoke ceramic stations of the cross and holy water stoops by Alan Boyson. Fixtures and Fittings: the internal character of the church is enhanced by well designed fixtures and fittings including a large contemporary pendant light designed by McGloughlin of Dublin to the ideas of the architect, whose scale serves to visually unite the dome with the crossing containing the island altar below, and is complimented by original marble altars, altar rails and font, and other light fittings.

My Visit.

Been a long time for me to pay a visit here. Not too sure when it closed, but would say in the last 6 years. The church is attached to a school which is not closed. It's one of those places you pass often, stop off and have a check if there's a way in, just to return 3 months later and do the same thing. I must have checked for about 5 years on and off, a couple of times I think I missed a brief opening. Then again I wasn't too bothered as it was just a church. I hadn't even researched the place to realise it was Grade 2 listed, why would a 1960's concrete monstrosity get listed, locally there were a lot of folk who would be happy if it was demolished.

It did have a strange appeal to me, probably just for the strange external structure with the funny looking dome for a roof. Patience finally payed off after many visits and finally found myself inside looking at the underside of the dome and appreciating why this church is now listed.

Too be honest the church would not be out of place in Pripyat (Chernobyl). The minimalistic 60's concrete architecture and the modern stained glass windows reminded me a lot of similar buildings in Pripyat and the stained glass windows being in a similar style to the stained glass and the murals found there.

Enough of my chat, so here's a few photos. The roof was stunning, reminded me of the world map in the Duga Radar Station, but on a grander scale (alas missing the counties).

2.jpg

The blue roof and the stained glass windows are what make this church interesting, apart from weather damage it is in a good condition.

3.jpg

Some strange funky thing at the entrance, the school just visible through the glass. Surprised how busy it got out there at one point, at least the floor was carpeted and dry so I could lay low.

4.jpg

The stained glass windows are stunning, I loved the modern twist of the glass inset into concrete.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Back to the domed roof from the main isle.

7.jpg

Below the roof was a large object wrapped in black plastic, a quick peel back of the plastic exposed the main alter.

9.jpg

There are a couple of smaller rooms off the main area, first was the confession room, think I sat there for 5 hours and only got 10% through my confessions ;)

10.jpg

Next to that was a work shop, a wardrobe type room and the various serviced you'd expect in these places.

11.jpg

There are various signs, pictures, plaques and church books dotted around, but it was the building I was interested in. My token picture photo.

12.jpg

An other smaller alter at the back of the church, not sure why they need more than one?

8.jpg

Back on the outside I thought I'd get a couple of externals of the stained glass, it look nothing special from the outside though. I think if people could see the inside there would be more people wanting to save this structure for the future.

13.jpg

14.jpg

That's it, I'm glad I persevered with this one, was stunning inside. On showing the photos to Mrs TLR it transpired that she was a May Queen in here once upon a time, so a small world.

Cheers, TLR.​

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Cheers all, was nice to finally have a look inside :thumb

Buonissimo. The ‘strange funky thing’ in pic 4 looks like a baptismal font to me.

You can tell it's not the type of establishment I usually go in, unless it has Inn afterwards ;)

Top work fella. Always fancied a nosey in here didnt realise it had been shut that long. Infact i wasnt even too sure if it was shut! Great report.

Probably more no longer used than derelict / abandoned, it's been like that for over 5 years now. It's sort of connected to a next door school which was nice and busy at the time!