real time web analytics
Report - - Clapham North Deep Level Shelter, March 2011. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clapham North Deep Level Shelter, March 2011.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Clapham North Deep Level Shelter

This was a flying visit with MJS, we didn't have chance to see it all, but still glad I managed to see a good chunk of it. We bumped into Maniac, Frosty & Fortnox whilst down there which wasn't really surprising!

There were eight deep level shelters built between 1941-1942 underneath existing London Underground stations

Since the war, plans were drawn up to utilise the tunnels as an express rail route, but were soon dropped due to lack of funding

London Underground have since took control of the shelters, all of which have been leased out except for Clapham

30M Down the mainshaft via a spiral staircase are two 1400ft long tubes, with connecting tunnels and a now bricked up link to Clapham North Station

The shelter was originally designed to house 8,000 people during the blitz of WW2

Pillbox surface building - Contains lift machinery and double helix staircase 30M down the main shaft to 'Deep Level'

1-1.jpg

(Pic © Nick Catford - Subbrit)

Shelter Diagram

2.gif

Top Of Main Shaft/Spiral Staircase

3_2.jpg

4_2.jpg

Once down we entered the short cross-link tunnel, linking the 2 x 1400ft tunnels heading North & South

The tunnel construction is unique, in that 2 bisecting circular tunnels had been mined to form the top and bottom level of the shelter thus providing more space

5.gif

Northbound Cross-link Entrance/Passageway

6_2.jpg

South Tunnel

7_2.jpg

Gents Toilets - You can still see the urinals on the walls

8_2.jpg

Flight Of Stairs - Leading to Clapham Station platforms

9_2.jpg

Ventilation pipes for Clapham Station

10_2.jpg

Bricked Up Access To Clapham Station

11_2.jpg

North Tunnel

12_2.jpg

Stairwell - Down to lower section of Deep Level Shelter

13_2.jpg

We were pushed for time so I headed back up leaving MJS to take a couple of pics down here whilst I stalled the others

14_2.jpg

It was great to finally see this place, Shouts to Tommo & Wevsky for the tip-off :thumb