real time web analytics
Report - - Clarkson Hydra, Penistone Rd, Sheffield | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clarkson Hydra, Penistone Rd, Sheffield

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Designed by W J Hale in a subtle but striking Deco style. It was built in 1942. Clarkson was a Nuneaton firm, and was in fact my first explore. It got swallowed up a huge company in the 1990's to become Hydra Clarkson, who also owned many other famous cutting tool names. The buiding was badly flooded in the early 00's and the Japanese firm that owned it was considering closure or a works move. I have been unable to find out which went ahead, but anyway this left the works unused and derelict.

Arising from the minutes of the meeting held on 27th May, 2008, the Interim Director of Development Services reported orally that following the decision of the Board to afford protection to the Hydra Clarkson’s building through its inclusion in an extension of the Kelham Island Industrial Conservation Area, the building was now protected from demolition and that whilst the owners were pursuing a review of the decision, efforts were being made by various agencies to find a new owner for the building to ensure its preservation for the future.

This however was not enough to save the building. I think it is a crying shame that the two ost striking buildings on the Penistone road, Presto and Clarkson have been demolished. Not only were they landmanks, but a part of Stee City's identity from it's past. As usual nobody seems bothered and they are knocking them down like bloody skittles...

hydraclark1of14.jpg

hydraclark10of14.jpg

hydraclark11of14.jpg

hydraclark12of14.jpg

hydraclark13of14.jpg

hydraclark14of14.jpg

hydraclark2of14.jpg

hydraclark3of14.jpg

hydraclark4of14.jpg

hydraclark5of14.jpg

hydraclark6of14.jpg

hydraclark7of14.jpg