real time web analytics
Report - - Clayton dike / Grimescar beck , Huddersfield , August ,2021 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clayton dike / Grimescar beck , Huddersfield , August ,2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Having a nosy around ( again ) on maps i saw what could be a possible underground explore in the town of huddersfield west yorkshire, now im not to familiar with that neck of the woods so i googled the clayton dike and was alerted to an explore posted by jcw1967 on urbex forums so credit due im not the first to do this . Was on my long list of to do's beforehand so finally got of my bum and thought id check it out with a plan B of the Grimescar Chiropractor if it turned out to be a no show . Arriving in huddersfield for 7.30 and parking up at the bottom of Birkby lodge road i gained access to the clayton dike at the side of someones drive .

once over the wall i got kitted up had brought the drains trolley cart but had just opted for trainers and old work trousers as its a low scrappy one and thought waders would be more of a hinderance than wet feet ( right call ) the first bit, bridge over the road the only bit of the entire explore that was knee deep everything else was almost dry or ankle depth walking through this down the dry open air culvert i then arrived at the start point proper .

bit overgrown but no problem gaining access

very clean brick work

unfortunately it was short and sweet RCP for the next section heading down hill quite steeply i just kneeled on the cart and gravity did the rest using my foot to keep checking my speed it was great fun ( yes ive never grown up ) very clean except for a solitary poo progress was easy peasy

change in styles now

you can see the steep angle of descent

lovely stone arch section

change in styles again spraycrete now and getting narrower

tightest bit of explore headroom narrowed to about 30 inches in height but still wide enough to turn around had to lay on my stomach on the trolley cart to get through !

thankfully it was only a couple of meters long then returned to normal about 1200 to 1500 depending on section

change again in styles perfect example of a shuttered concrete arch roof lovely workmanship

change again stone slab floor and brickwork again

goes downhill quite steep ere

looking back upstream a mash of old and new

a right old mix blue brick red brick stone arches stone slabs in roof loved it !

the underground junction of grimescar beck and clayton dike as photoed from the clayton dike , loved the first bit the trolley cart proved its true value now in to the grimescar beck AKA the Chiropractor

well i now understand why its called the chiropractor lol the height is bad enough but the floor is ruff stone rendering the trolley cart useless in this section i followed it downstream having a quick sit down but not for long as the midges found me very tasty !

downstream portal could have carried on downstream but elected to go back up and finish this section of in full

that was hard work crawling up past the junction with clayton dike it opened up in to a large room it was a blessing to be able to straighten my back i can tell you looking downstream then next pic looking upstream

moving on upstream it was still stoopy but not as bad as earlier , there was a small grill in this room and you could see inside to a factory

had to crawl under this and my rucksack collected quite a bit of rust and a few passengers ( spiders )

obligatory shopping trolley pic the beck now bent sharply to the left

the end well maybee not ! had remembered that i haddnt remembered the drains trolley cart and had left it in the big room :banghead back again to retrieve it, by this time i was getting tired , crawling out i was at the side of someones garage at the bottom of were jack hill meets king cliffe road this is the start of the chiropractor below norman park . Well was a game of 2 halves as they say lol first bit on trolley cart the clayton dike ranks as one of my best explores the second part the grimescar chiropractor well that was hard work but all in all a fun explore thanks for watching :thumb

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Enjoyed that from beginning to end. I imagined the rolling cart down the steep bits, quite a weird thought. Then the crawl through the lumpy bumpy, sounds delightful eek! Great photos all the way through.

I must admit I did feel a slightly sorry for you forgetting the cart, and having to head back in. But you've an amazing set to show for a great explore.

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Enjoyed that from beginning to end. I imagined the rolling cart down the steep bits, quite a weird thought. Then the crawl through the lumpy bumpy, sounds delightful eek! Great photos all the way through.

I must admit I did feel a slightly sorry for you forgetting the cart, and having to head back in. But you've an amazing set to show for a great explore.
thanks Jane for your lovely comments ,yeah first bit was real fun brought out the big kid in me :p