real time web analytics
Report - - Climbing 1135ft (346m) FM-TV Communication Mast - 2015 - Zygry - Poland | European and International Sites | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Climbing 1135ft (346m) FM-TV Communication Mast - 2015 - Zygry - Poland

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
aha
yeah, i got that. i just couldn't convert it to a dietary calorie count that made sense ;o)

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
if you want a job done, you have to do it yourself

Gravitational Potential Energy = 60kg (guessing the weight here of somebody I have never met, sorry if my assumption is wrong or offensive, but am being nice here - the average UK woman's weight is 68kg) x 9.81 m/s2 x 300m (not 346m as they said they didn't go to the top)

= 176580 J (which is 42244 calories at a conversion rate of 1 calorie = 4.18 joules)

one Mars bar = 242 kCal = 242000 calories

which means the climb used up 17.5% the energy of a Mars Bar - it would take 5.75 mast climbs to burn up the energy of a Mars Bar

but then the human body is far from being a 100% efficient machine, so the calculation is pointless

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Ok. I reckon you need to do the calculation based on 51kg. Thats my guess....and please can you give me the result in prawn cocktail flavour crisps please

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Mast climb used up 21.2% the energy of a bag of Walkers Prawn Cocktail Crisps 35g Bag (169KCal) and that was done on the assumption of 51kg

And I'm not doing anymore

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
GPE isn't the energy consumed during activity, it's the stored energy due to the effects of gravity.

Climbing a ladder is approximately 500 KCal an hour.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Sure. If you were gonna look at it exactly, there would be the initial inefficient muscle movement, basal metabolic usage, increased surface body heat, friction, energy lost in hot sweat evaporation and lord knows what else. I was interested in the pure potential energy gained as well though. I did think it would probably actually be in the order of 750cals for the climb up in real terms.