real time web analytics
Report - - Colindale Hospital - June 09 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Colindale Hospital - June 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

vmlopes

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Central London District Sick Asylum was erected in 1898-1900 "in the country" at Colindale. The site cost £12,500 and the foundation stone was laid on 6th June, 1898. Its layout was based on the pavilion system with separate blocks connected by a central linking corridor. A central administrative block contained offices, nurses' rooms, the boardroom and chapel, with kitchens and laundry to the rear. At each side were placed two two-storey ward blocks: one for TB patients, one for children, one for infectious children, and one for casualty cases. In 1913, the hospital was sold to the newly formed City of Westminster Union. In 1920, it was taken over by the Metropolitan Asylums Board as a sanitorium for advanced TB cases. In 1930, control passed to the London County Council then, in 1948, it joined the new National Health Service & renamed Colindale Hospital.

Visted with Randomnut and Catscratch after a rather fustrating and long day, with fails at St. Clements and Springfield, we thought why not Colindale as we were in the area. A bit rushed as time was not on our side and the place was alive with builders, but a good time had by all.

Recommend if you want to see this place get in there quick as the bulldozers are well into knocking the place down.

IMG_2225_edited-1.jpg

Catscratch doing her stuff :)

IMG_22261_edited-1.jpg

IMG_22281_edited-1.jpg

IMG_22361_edited-1.jpg

IMG_22511_edited-1.jpg

IMG_22531_edited-1.jpg

IMG_22571_edited-1.jpg

LiamCH

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was there a couple of weeks ago and they were getting quite far with demolition on the newer parts. All the power and gas is off now. That's my alternate home gone then...

LiamCH

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As far as I know, none of the good bits have gone yet, and most of it's left, but they do seem to be doing it quite quickly - compared to many demolition companies, at least.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
visited this place last weekend, shocked to see the amount of demo and it was pretty well guarded and pretty busy around at the time so no way of getting in, they've blocked off one of the roads leading down the side of it. We were gonna persevere and try and find somewhere to get in but instead we tried for Cane Hill instead....which would have been a goer if there wasn't a fire engine sat right in the middle of the site with firemen in it:rolleyes:

A

Amaris_Fionn

Bit worrying that fire engine in the middle of the site and evidence of recent fire damage on one of the buildings .. pretty sure the fireman was sound asleep though! :rolleyes:

Colindale looks possible to do but as mentioned above you need to be quick getting in there, think we spent a bit too much time wandering about trying to assess it and got spotted by security .. twice! :banghead

randomnut

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great shots there mate, i'll get mine up asap. It was a good day even with the earlier frustrations.

Definitely glad to have visited the place seeing as how demolition is moving ahead at a rate of knots.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah glad I got there as well, been a couple of times now and pretty much covered it all, except for the hall, the first time I forgot, the second time I couldn't be bothered.

A

Amaris_Fionn

The second one is a bit small, keep that 800 pixels on the long edge and you won't go wrong.

Remember - Reports = Prizes

Ok thanks, I wasn't sure the best size as it was a bit too big initially I'll remember that for my hellingly report :eek:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
one of the grand total of 5 pics I got from outside the fence at Colindale, you'll have to be quick if you want to do it now

DSCF5723.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 7) View details