real time web analytics
Report - - Colindale Hospital - London - Jan/Feb 09 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Colindale Hospital - London - Jan/Feb 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Colindale hospital aka. 'The Central London District Sick Asylum'

Quite how this place has escaped exploration for so long i do not know! Its a cracker!! nothing in London you say? How about a nice derelict asylum, largely unheard of by the masses let alone explored. Closed since 1996 and crammed to the roof with stuff, decayed, yet pretty intact. Florecent tubes still flicker and buzz to break the slience, rooms full of hospital parafinalia, x-ray machines, beds, patient records. Yes that will do me nicely thank you very much!

This is far from a comprehensive report, it covers few main areas, the hall, social club, laundry and xray dept maybe a 1/4 of the place if your lucky. Time has not been on my side with the several visits ive made and priority has been exploration, not photography so you will have to bare with me. I will be back for more as soon as i can! :thumb

A little history

Central London District Sick Asylum was erected in 1898-1900 "in the country" at Colindale. The site cost £12,500
and the foundation stone was laid on 6th June, 1898. Its layout was based on the pavilion system with separate blocks
connected by a central linking corridor. A central administrative block contained offices, nurses' rooms, the boardroom
and chapel, with kitchens and laundry to the rear. At each side were placed two two-storey ward blocks: one for TB patients,
one for children, one for infectious children, and one for casualty cases. In 1913, the hospital was sold to the newly formed
City of Westminster Union. In 1920, it was taken over by the Metropolitan Asylums Board as a sanitorium for advanced TB
cases. In 1930, control passed to the London County Council then, in 1948, it joined the new National Health Service &
renamed Colindale Hospital.​

Picture079mod.jpg

Picture082mod.jpg

Picture088mod.jpg

this was interesting, behind the stage there were roller shutter doors.. covering this! The hall must have been modernised at somepoint i guess. Nice stained glass too.

IMG_1266mod.jpg

IMG_1270mod.jpg

Laundry

Picture070mod.jpg
Picture073mod.jpg

Picture075mod-1.jpg

Picture071mod.jpg

Picture089mod.jpg

Picture096mod.jpg

Picture093mod.jpg
Picture098mod.jpg

Picture104mod.jpg

Picture114mod.jpg
Picture119mod.jpg

Picture122mod.jpg

Picture130mod.jpg

Picture133mod.jpg

Picture139mod.jpg

Picture143mod.jpg

Picture152mod.jpg
Picture156mod.jpg

Picture167mod.jpg

Picture157mod.jpg
Picture158mod.jpg

Picture091mod.jpg

:thumb

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Been back today with a few others. Struck gold in the subways! Old medical equipment, books, vintage suitcases full of stuff, patient records, a fully kitted out radio studio!!! Also hit admin, the modern block, mortuary and boilerhouse.

Loving this place!

Picture257mod.jpg

Picture290mod.jpg

Picture304mod.jpg

Dark room chemicals anyone?

Picture308mod.jpg

Its a 'Vaculiser' whatever that is

Picture313mod.jpg
Picture319mod.jpg

Pin the tail on the donkey, 1D makes it what pre 70s?

Picture317mod.jpg

Picture322mod.jpg

Picture344mod.jpg

Decks!

Picture329mod.jpg

Interview Studio

Picture332mod.jpg

Picture346mod.jpg

Picture353mod.jpg

I want a 'Vitalograph'

Picture359mod.jpg
Picture367mod.jpg

Humm is that patients records i see there spilling down that hole?

Picture447mod.jpg

More charred records, xrays by the million!

Picture375mod.jpg
Picture426mod.jpg

Picture430mod.jpg

Front Door

Picture434mod.jpg
Picture433mod.jpg

Picture422mod.jpg

Picture454mod.jpg

Mural in the modern block

Picture462mod-1.jpg

bath goes up, bath goes down, bath goes up :D

Picture463mod-1.jpg
Picture282mod.jpg

Picture466mod.jpg

'28 songs of the sea'

Picture477mod.jpg

Morturary (there were fridges but no slab :/)

Picture488mod.jpg

Engineering​