real time web analytics
Report - - Connacht District Lunatic Asylum - Ireland (July 2016) | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Connacht District Lunatic Asylum - Ireland (July 2016)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Here's my take on this fantastic asylum, Very pic heavy as I found it tough to cull it down to just one page.....
As @sammydoublewhammy mentioned in his excellent report on this place, we headed over to the Emerald Isle with a list of places to visit, no info on what was still there, whether any of it was accessible, security etc, just hopeful we might get a couple of them done. Well chuffed we managed this one as it's a bit good.......... also visited with @Cloth Head and @host who sadly sat in the car dying with what seemed like a 24hr hybrid zika/ebola virus.

Here is some history "The Connacht District Lunatic Asylum (CDLA, now St Brigid’s Hospital), opened in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway, in 1833 and one of the earliest of the Irish district asylums. It was intended for the care of ‘curable lunatics’ and opened in a spirit of optimism with regard to its progressive role in public health. Its history, however, is one of continual struggle: to prevent the admission of unsuitable cases, to secure additional funding and to offer reasonable standards of care under difficult conditions. In common with the majority of other District Asylums, the CDLA was continually overcrowded, housing in November 1900, for example, 1,165 patients in accommodation designed to hold 840. Its evolving role in Irish society throughout the nineteenth century, then, throws some interesting light on public perceptions of the insane, the authority of the medical profession and changing social mores. The nineteenth century may fairly be described as the century of the asylum, with a worldwide growth in the institutional care of the insane. Within this large picture the Irish case is especially interesting. Ireland was one of the earliest states to embrace the asylum system, and by the end of the nineteenth century had experienced one of the most rapid proportionate growths in asylum admissions in the world. When one considers that Ireland’s population actually declined sharply from mid-century, this growth is all the more startling. Yet early advocates of asylums had neither proposed nor anticipated that institutional care should be made available on such a scale. Rather, it had been hoped that only nine 150-bed asylums would prove sufficient to care for the whole of the country, and indeed several commentators argued that this would prove a gross over-provision."

brigid.jpg

brigid2.jpg

brigid3.jpg

brigid7.jpg

brigid5.jpg

brigid10.jpg

brigid14.jpg
brigid15.jpg

brigid8.jpg

brigid11.jpg

brigid20.jpg
brigid23.jpg

brigid19.jpg
brigid45.jpg

brigid26.jpg

brigid34.jpg
brigid32.jpg

brigid9.jpg

brigid22.jpg

[
brigid16.jpg

brigid28.jpg

brigid12.jpg

Last edited:

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stunning set mate, to say I'm gutted is an understatement…still it was good what i did get to do.

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I do like a nice old hospital. Seems Ireland is the place to go to see them these days! Nicely done :thumb