Report - - Crich Quarry Derbyshire - July 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Crich Quarry Derbyshire - July 2014


Staff member
Crich Quarry Derbyshire


Geologically, Crich lies on a small inlier of Carboniferous limestone (an outcrop on the edge of the Peak District surrounded by younger Upper Carboniferous rocks).

Quarrying for limestone probably began in Roman times. In 1791 Benjamin Outram and Samuel Beresford bought land for a quarry to supply limestone to their new ironworks at Butterley. This became known as Hilt's Quarry, and the stone was transported down a steep wagonway to the Butterley Company Gangroad, to the Cromford Canal at Bullbridge.

The wagons ran downhill by gravity and were hauled back up by teams of horses until steam traction was introduced in 1860 Near there they also built lime kilns for supplying farmers and for the increasing amount of building work. Apart from a period when it was leased to Albert Banks, the quarry and kilns were operated by the Butterley Company until 1933.

George Stephenson built the second mineral railway in 1841, linking Church Quarry and Cliff Quarry with his lime kilns beside the canal at Ambergate. The Butterley Company line closed in 1932, whilst Stephenson's original line latterly used diesel locomotives before eventually closing in 1957.

The Quarry was last used by Aggregate Industries and has been closed approx 4 years.



[3] & [4]

[5] & [6]





Full Gallery


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report!
So glad you got there just before it was completely trashed in October 14!
Thanks for sharing, I visit there a lot.

Similar threads