real time web analytics
Report - - Crich Quarry Derbyshire - June 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crich Quarry Derbyshire - June 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Crich Quarry Derbyshire.

Due to the poor weather i thought i would avoid drains on my day off, and instead check out the lead provided by "Old Git" so thanks goes to him for the heads up :thumb

Geologically, Crich lies on a small inlier of Carboniferous limestone (an outcrop on the edge of the Peak District surrounded by younger Upper Carboniferous rocks).
Quarrying for limestone probably began in Roman times. In 1791 Benjamin Outram and Samuel Beresford bought land for a quarry to supply limestone to their new ironworks at Butterley. This became known as Hilt's Quarry, and the stone was transported down a steep wagonway to the Butterley Company Gangroad, to the Cromford Canal at Bullbridge. The wagons ran downhill by gravity and were hauled back up by teams of horses until steam traction was introduced in 1860 Near there they also built lime kilns for supplying farmers and for the increasing amount of building work. Apart from a period when it was leased to Albert Banks, the quarry and kilns were operated by the Butterley Company until 1933.

Quarry-38r.jpg

George Stephenson built the second mineral railway in 1841, linking Church Quarry and Cliff Quarry with his lime kilns beside the canal at Ambergate. The Butterley Company’s line closed in 1932, whilst Stephenson’s original line latterly used deisel locomotives before eventually closing in 1957.

The Quarry was last used by Aggregate Industries and has been closed approx 2 years.

Diagram showing how peak geology is formed by doming, the inlier would be formed by another fold.

Quarry-39r.jpg

A lot of these were shot handheld due to confined spaces and nowhere for tripodZ

Pics........

Main structure

Quarry-25r.jpg

Quarry-27r.jpg

Quarry-12r.jpg
Quarry-6r.jpg

Quarry-5r.jpg

Quarry-17r.jpg

Quarry-18r.jpg
Quarry-19r.jpg

Quarry-20r.jpg

Inside.......

Quarry-13r.jpg

Quarry-14r.jpg
Quarry-16r.jpg

Quarry-22r.jpg

Quarry-7r.jpg

Stuff.........

Quarry-9r.jpg

Quarry-10r.jpg
Quarry-36r.jpg

Quarry-35r.jpg

Quarry-32r.jpg
Quarry-2r.jpg

Quarry-3r.jpg

Office.........

Quarry-31r.jpg

Quarry-34r.jpg

Quarry-33r.jpg

Cheers for looking :thumb

Dudman

I'm not lost until I give up finding my way...
28DL Full Member
I've got a quarry 5 miles from my house, every day I wake up hoping it's the day they go bust just so I can get in and look around