real time web analytics
Report - - Crossrail Stepney Green Junction - Caverns - London - 2015 | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crossrail Stepney Green Junction - Caverns - London - 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

soylent green

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I guess this is what its all about, seeing stuff like this first hand. i suppose you have to see it to understand the enormity of this project. I envy you for this one. Great report and spot on pics. Nicely done Bhg and kev:)

kevin arnold

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
IMG_2996_zps8yuchx7m.jpg

IMG_2995_zpswkrpcxxb.jpg

IMG_2971_zpsmznp7owp.jpg

that was a cool explore and we managed to walk quite a long stretch! it's interesting how there was no cross passages between running tunnels at all over such a long distance. same with mile end and eleanor st shafts... in the tube all shafts i've ever seen connect with both running tunnels, those two didn't offer any way of crossing to the neighboring tunnel.

eleanor st shaft had only a small gap (covered by mesh) through which you could see the vertical bit, the rest looked as in the picture above - heavy steel segments where you'd expect ventilation grilles. i guess they will be removed later?? and i guess mile end shaft has separate staircases for each running tunnel (i just don't believe they'd build a vent/escape shaft that connected to one tunnel only) which was an interesting setup as well and one i've not seen elsewhere.

the junction cavern is mega.

oh and i said on here a while ago that all x rail tbm's are gone now and i was wrong obviously as there are still a couple left in farringdon/moorgate area...

Last edited:

OliverT

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
10/10. I tried to get here last year, only to be thwarted by workers after getting so far. I'm glad it's been done by you two!

Skeleton key

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That section looks really interesting and good to see as has been a hive of orange ants running all over the place and made it a no no :eek:
Defo a job well done :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 10) View details