real time web analytics
Report - - Cults limestone mine. | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cults limestone mine.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Bit of a messed up visit to Cults, Missed first train I was meant to get then had done about half the walk there when I realised I'd completely forgotten to bring a compass (very essential if going deep inside this mine). I'd planned to enter the western entrance and track across to the eastern entrance but there is no way I would attempt this without a compass so instead visited the far eastern adit and then the east adit without going too far inside. The far eastern adit is the one with the big concrete blocks sealing (almost) the entrance, it can still be entered by a nasty squeeze through the narrow gap at the top. This is the one part of Cults that has extensive roof supports which are now in a very sketchy state with partially collapsed areas. It soon hits floodwater about 80ft in which was somewhat higher than the last time I was here in 2017. After this I entered the east adit and took a few pictures not far from the entrance. Must do more regular visits here, visit before this was October 2021.

Not the mine but the kiln, which is not directly linked to the mines.
WP_20230127_13_51_53_Pro.jpg

Far eastern adit.
WP_20230127_15_40_25_Pro__highres.jpg

Inside the far eastern adit.
IMG_7821.JPG

IMG_7816.JPG

From November 2017 visit showing water significantly lower.
DSC_6533.jpg

IMG_7819.JPG

pictures taken inside the east adit.
IMG_7825.JPG

IMG_7829.JPG

IMG_7831.JPG

IMG_7832.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG

Doozer

Probably underground somewhere
Regular User
Loving these photos, nice one mate! At least the day was not a complete fail for me you! Cults is on the “to do” list but more of a summer visit for me lol.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Couple of items from the mine, rubber gasket from the drainage pipes (quite a few of these along with lengths of heavy iron pipe can be found in the flooded adit in a chamber off to the left) and what must be an oil can from the mine, the 'Vitrea' oil from Shell was discontinued decades ago - the mine closed in 1965.

WP_20230127_15_39_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20230127_15_58_52_Pro.jpg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice mate. Not seen these pop up in a while. I wonder if the old works nearby is still doable. Stumbled upon it a few years back on maps. But no recent pics for years.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice mate. Not seen these pop up in a while. I wonder if the old works nearby is still doable. Stumbled upon it a few years back on maps. But no recent pics for years.
Thanks, I hadn't done a report on Cults since 2018, the Covid nonsense and other things stopped me getting out here for a while. The works was totally demolished a few years ago, just a vacant brownfield site now.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks, I hadn't done a report on Cults since 2018, the Covid nonsense and other things stopped me getting out here for a while. The works was totally demolished a few years ago, just a vacant brownfield site now.
That's a shame it got demolished. It looked ok that one.