real time web analytics
Information - - Recent collapse at Cults limestone mine. | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Recent collapse at Cults limestone mine.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was at Cults on Tuesday 18th April 2023 and found what must have been a quite recent roof collapse (last time I was at this entrance was October last year). A large amount of rock, several tons including large boulders was partly blocking what used to be a middle route leading off from the entrance, just a few yards inside. I don't have any pictures of before the collapse to compare it to but it immediately 'didn't look right' when I entered the mine and I've gone that way in the past without there being a huge collapse to climb over. Its a sobering reminder that places like this aren't as safe as they sometimes seem to be - I confess I used to assume that most of the many collapses in there were quite old but major collapses are clearly still occurring. I only took a few pictures of the area of the old area west of the entrance, which is quite well preserved in view of its age. This mine really does have a 'string problem', there's more of the stuff than ever each time I visit and wasted a lot of time clearing it away. There are still unspoiled parts of the mine to be found but nearer the entrances graffiti and string are major problems but thats hard to avoid with an open access mine - look at the state Box mine was in before it was sealed off.

IMG_8500.JPG

IMG_8502.JPG

IMG_8504.JPG

IMG_8506.JPG

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
I was once in Rhosydd quarry in the very early hours of a morning, was with a mate but he was still in the previous chamber faffing about. A rock about the size of a cricket ball? came out of the darkness, whizzed past my face nearly hitting me, and clattered down the slope. There was nobody else in there. Either it was a coblynau (Welsh mine/quarry troll) or it had come from the roof. Since it flew diagonally before hitting the ground and seemed so well aimed I'm not ruling out coblynau :hmm, but for sure all these places will move -- and one day collapse.

Good warning about Cults, that's a popular one so worth the warning!

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was once in Rhosydd quarry in the very early hours of a morning, was with a mate but he was still in the previous chamber faffing about. A rock about the size of a cricket ball? came out of the darkness, whizzed past my face nearly hitting me, and clattered down the slope. There was nobody else in there. Either it was a coblynau (Welsh mine/quarry troll) or it had come from the roof. Since it flew diagonally before hitting the ground and seemed so well aimed I'm not ruling out coblynau :hmm, but for sure all these places will move -- and one day collapse.

Good warning about Cults, that's a popular one so worth the warning!
The larger chunks of rock had already been painted on by the spraypaint morons, they were probably oblivious to the fact that it was such a recent collapse!