real time web analytics
Report - - Curry factory manchester 0314 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Curry factory manchester 0314

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have lived 20 minutes from this site for years, I had previously got into the building next door only to find no link between them. I also located an external boiler room that time but the pipes went straight through the wall and it ended there!
So today I finally got to see my 'Jewel in the crown' which is an appropriate term because after being a service centre for Radio and TV sets it became the Manzil Indian restaurant! The owner had been forced to move after his previous site nearby became victim to local redevelopers (Sound familiar?) At the time - it was the first Indian restaurant in Manchester; The Bombay. Mr Uddin Nazir's new site on Stockport road, Longsight had a Peacock room, an Elephant room, a Gold room and a small Ballroom with a 3 piece band. It was all decorated exquisitely to make diner's feel like they had entered the home of the Raj. Shirley Bassey was named as one of many performers from the nearby Apollo theatre who attended. In the back of the Restaurant there was a small factory producing authentic Indian cuisine in jars and packets for sale. He would go on to do very well in his business before passing away in 1987.
The Manzil opened in 1960, it's unclear when it closed but manufacturing carried on. It is also unclear when a relocation took place but I found a newspaper dated December 2000.
But today I found myself in a dark warehouse space where all this had taken place, The top floor is in very bad condition compared to the lower floors but they aren't exactly spotless either. A mask and careful footing was paramount.
It's quite heartbreaking to imagine how stunning it must have looked and how it is now.
I went in solo as usual and found some parts quite unnerving, but I survived!

How it looked in 1969:
webmedia_zps20af3856.jpg

How it looks now! bricked up facade and forgotten.
_DSC1184b_zpsc14eadd0.jpg

Facing the front which would have been the dining area:
_DSC1161b_zps20c540ff.jpg

Factory floor 1:
_DSC1149b_zps0f548ded.jpg

Remaining machinery:
_DSC1146b_zpsff3efe88.jpg

Main entrance stairs with factory space at the back:
_DSC1137b_zps52aedd7d.jpg

Main entrance:
_DSC1136b_zpscfe7c499.jpg

Packaging:
_DSC1133b_zpsfb5786b5.jpg

R and D?
_DSC1120b_zpsd9bd583a.jpg

First floor factory space:
_DSC1118b_zps7ca6c4ef.jpg

Dodgy ceiling at the front:
_DSC1114b_zps26d8763f.jpg

Plastered stairs:
_DSC1112b_zps35de45a6.jpg

Joss stick holder:
_DSC1111b_zpsf6339e1d.jpg

Mucho mango chutney!
_DSC1160b_zps7b3b82ed.jpg

Plates:
_DSC1101b_zpse731b647.jpg

Staff room and anti fly tape:
_DSC1096b_zpsc714bab1.jpg

Dodgy top corridor, through those holes was straight to the concrete factory floor:
_DSC1084b_zps36f75cc6.jpg

Jars:
_DSC1083b_zpsccd814d0.jpg

Office!
_DSC1078b_zps02122d36.jpg

Safe - and a desk the manager banged too hard with his fists:
_DSC1069b_zpsec77e284.jpg

Main office:
_DSC1065b_zps003cc56d.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Anything that includes CURRY and FACTORY gets my vote mate :thumb

I admire your persistence and passion with the derelict side of Manc mate

Respect!

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Lol I remember looking at this with you few years back, can't believe you kept at it.
Not like it was ever going to be anything other than a wreck but as it's local I guess it keeps nagging away until your persistence paid off, well done.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top effort, passed this place many many times thinking about having a nosey, was never to sure if it would be empty or trashed or worse…good to see it though...

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks everyone! I Never give up on a site unless it's been demolished. There is always a chance of a lucky break - even if it takes a couple of years for that break to appear, which most of my recent ones have.
This was actually a doddle to enter what with no security, busy bodies, isolated and copper collectors who have already carved out a path! I was wary of the main cop shop a few hundred yards away though!
As Abba once said - Take a chance!