real time web analytics
Report - - Cwm Cokeworks, Beddau - April 2018 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cwm Cokeworks, Beddau - April 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah this place has been done to death and back but that hasn't stopped me wanting to go.

Visited with @jsp77, prettyvacant71, Rubex and Lady Pandora. We had a weekend away in Wales and this was our first stop. Just a shame Malenis and her other half couldn't join us for this part of the trip. Absolutely amazing weekend away though!

History:

There was originally a colliery named "Cwm Colliery" at this site in Beddau, just south of Pontypridd in Rhondda Cynon Taf, that was sunk in 1909.
No coal was actually extracted until 1914, however, and then it came from two shafts, Margaret and Mildred which were over 750 yards deep.
In 1928 the colliery was taken over by Powell Duffryn Associated Colleries Limited, and at this point it employed over 1000 men.
It operated under their name until 1948 when the National Coal Board (NCB) was established to manage the nationalised coal industry in the UK.
The NCB updated the colliery in a massive £9 million redevelopment between 1952 and 1960.
This included connection Cwm (pronounced "Coomb") to Coedely Tonyrefail, and of course building a massive Cokeworks, Cwm Coke.

In the 70s, the cokeworks alone employed 1,500 men and produced some 515,000 tonnes of coke each year. It continued to do so until 1986, when the NCB was privatised.
The colliery ceased production at this point, but the cokeworks were bought buy CPL Industries and continued producing coke right up until 2002.
It would have remained open had it not been for the fact it was extremely outdated, in desperate need of modernisation and no one was willing to invest in new technologies.

tkpH9BAh.jpg

ukVETmKh.jpg

PZV2LcLh.jpg

yIfAaLph.jpg

rb8jUAQh.jpg

VGPTt7nh.jpg

Ypk4XIbh.jpg

Op8nGHrh.jpg

efPDmxSh.jpg

vcPqWIsh.jpg

Muif6yxh.jpg

FrlCUz7h.jpg

1ehubv8h.jpg

6ZJFKWeh.jpg

TRv94WQh.jpg

c0lsvKJh.jpg

xynGmhVh.jpg

qnt0mSXh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I was there while on Hol last week, it is a cracker & only got to see a small portion of it in the time I had!

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice. Didn't come across the security guy that stays by the main entrance ?
Errr... I didn’t, but the ladies did on the way out. He wasn’t very nice to them. There is a funny story about what happened there!
I was there while on Hol last week, it is a cracker & only got to see a small portion of it in the time I had!
Ah nice! Yeah I wanna go back soon, lots of bits I missed!

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You and me both, lost about half my shots due to a buggered lens. Love the place, it's a true industrial dinosaur the likes of which there are very few left here now.
Ah that sucks man! How’s the new camera you got recently?